Brake noise from rear wheel

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Brake noise from rear wheel

Post by bradjh »

I hear a squeaking noise from the drivers side rear wheel when driving, goes away when braking. Gets worse when i turn. I did new rotor and pads all around last summer.. doesnt look like pads are worn much. i did have my parking brake adjusted a year ago and now it is not holding as well my that is what is making the noise?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yup, there isn't much pad on the parking brake shoes. It doesn't take much in the way of "adjustment" for them to rub and grind a groove into the interior of the drum. I do not envy your position trying to pull those buggers off nor the cost of replacement shoes. Good luck.

Raybestos Professional Grade Brake Shoes
Part Number: 784PG
$85.99 @ Advance Auto Parts

(Napa & Autozone also carry them for a few dollars more)

Also note, you're going to need new rear drums. This will be a costly repair because the parking brake was NOT adjusted properly. Does the shop that did your recent brake job warranty their work? It'll be difficult to prove the shop is liable as it's very easy to wear thru those thin shoes by driving with the parking brake engaged or partially engaged but it's worth a shot.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Yep, as you and Barch stated, it's probably the parking brake. :( Removing both rear rotors might knock off enough of the rust/groove line in the drum to make the squealing stop temporarily. :wink:

I've been running without those shoes for the past year or two. Just got done looking up all the $$$ for the all the parts I'm going to need for the entire brake system overhaul. :oops: :puke:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
DLP
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by DLP »

I have a set of parking brake shoes you can have. I took them off when I was having noise and heat comming from the rear wheel. After a new rotor and pads didn't cure the problem, I pulled the parking system. I never used it for 4 years and figured that the first time my 15 year-old new driver set it, Thats when it would lock up. Turned out to be a bad caliper. I sealed the PB cables in case I ever wanted to return it to stock. PM me for pictures if interested. Darrell
[size=75][b][color=blue]2003 Blue Crewcab[/b][/color][/size]