dog chewed the brake line...

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

dog chewed the brake line...

Post by kermit »

I was driving just like I do every other day... but when I presseddown the brake pedal, it went half way like normal and then straight to the floor. When I got home I got under the truck only to see that my dog had chewed through the center hose in the rear brake line.... anyone know how difficult these are to replace?
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kermit wrote:...my dog had chewed through the center hose in the rear brake line.... anyone know how difficult these are to replace?
Pretty hard to replace, for sure. A good dog is hard to find. I would suggest getting the one you have a good rawhide chew toy and keeping it. It is probably trainable. Replacement will not be needed.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Image I wondered how long it would be before someone can up with the obvious answer. Dogs are much harder to replace than brake lines.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:...........Dogs are much harder to replace than brake lines.
I wish they were as easy as cats!Image
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Hey Kermit, the line's pretty easy but ya better start feedin the dog food that aint rubber or brake-fluid flavor so he quits being so confused. :lol:
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

ha ha ha

the dog is lucky to still be alive. she chews on everything! and i swear she knows what she is doing is bad.

seriously though... is the brake line hard to replace?
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kermit wrote:... is the brake line hard to replace?
Haven't needed to change one, but it should not be too bad. Make darn sure you don't round the hex. Use a line wrench that fits tight if you need to. Locking pliers may work. Don't crush the fittings.
You will need a friend to help bleed the brakes. Take your time and be through. It is going to take some time to get all the air out.
Careful of the bleeders too. Rounding them off would be a shame.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
brandons4door
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by brandons4door »

f9k9 wrote:I wish they were as easy as cats!Image
still laughing while typing. thank god the family is still awake, or they would have been up now for sure. i've been using treats to teach my cats to nap in the dryer. seems like a good plan then i'll just get a crying phone call from the wife while i'm at work, no blame if i'm not there.

:offtopic:
back to business i'm gald to hear you didn't crash.
BDiefAZ
Regular
Regular

Post by BDiefAZ »

Brake line replacement is easy, just use the proper sized wrenches Apply some penetrating oil on the fittings prior to aid in their removal.

After the new line is installed, you will need to bleed and refill the entire braking system to ensure that air is not present in the system.

If the ABS system has air, you may have to bring the vehicle to the dealership or mechanic to bleed that part of the system.

Hope it helps.