Squaking maybe belt

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Squaking maybe belt

Post by bradjh »

Hello again when I start my truck up in the morning i hear i believe the serpinetine belt squaking i reaplaced the belt and still have the noise. A buddy told me it could be a tensioner.. Any ideas how can i isolate the squeak.. How hard is it to change a tensioner... Thanks for all your help.. Brad
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

I just replaced my belt and Idler pulley. Its the small pulley betweeen the AC compressor and Alt. It took care of my noise problems. Might try that one first.
I used my rachet handle and rotated it towards the drivers side to take the tension off of the belt. As far as replacing the tensioner, I have not done that one.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Best way to determine is open the hood and listen. Move back and forth to isolate the noise. If you want to get real specific, get a mechanics stethoscope and listen closely to each if the pulley's hub areas individually. The noisiest one is the problem. :)

When idler arms/pulleys are getting bad, they'll typically be noisey and quite down as the bearing and what's left of the grease in that bearing warm up. When they get to the point where they're noisey all the time is when they're ready to let go altogether.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

yea my buddy aso said something about the idler.. How do you replace it? Do you need to take the serpentine belt off? How much is idler and can i get that at autozone or do i need to go to a dealer? Thanks
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Just buy a gatorback belt... i had squeeling, sweaking, ect... Haven't heard any noise since. I had previously replaced it with an OEM belt and that didn't work. But with the gatorback, it's silent!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Squaking maybe belt

Post by roadrunner »

bradjh wrote:Hello again when I start my truck up in the morning i hear i believe the serpinetine belt squaking i reaplaced the belt and still have the noise. A buddy told me it could be a tensioner.. Any ideas how can i isolate the squeak.. How hard is it to change a tensioner... Thanks for all your help.. Brad
:?: Sounds as if you're describing two different but related problems. If you are hearing a "squawking" noise on startup it's probably the belt unless you have some worn out serpentine pulleys. Inspect carefully.
If you're talking about a "squeaking" noise after startup which is continuous and remains after initial alternator start-recharge loading has subsided then probably the tensioner pulley bearing. Could also be AC pulley idler bearing or alternator bearing as well. Again listen and check carefully. :)
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

I replaced Idler pully and belt and still havve squeaking i belive it is coming from the tensionor that you move to take the belt off.. Anyone replaced one of those? Thanks for everytthing...
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

bradjh wrote:I replaced Idler pully and belt and still havve squeaking i belive it is coming from the tensionor that you move to take the belt off.. Anyone replaced one of those? Thanks for everytthing...
I have replaced 3 of them. Its a piece of cake but I do remember them being pricey.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

$29.79 for an AC Delco one from RockAuto.com
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

f9k9 wrote:$29.79 for an AC Delco one from RockAuto.com
Good price. I"m remembering $70 plus at the stealership.
Last edited by BADs Crew on Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

how hard is it to replace the tensionr as easy as idler?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I would venture to say. yes!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]