HOLY SMOKING TRANNY BRULEMAN!!!!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

HOLY SMOKING TRANNY BRULEMAN!!!!

Post by Maximous »

thats right, i drove home today looking like Gordon coming out of turn four with a blown motor, only i wasnt getting paid, wasnt going as fast, had no super model waiting on me, oh and it was my tranny not my motor, it appears to me that some how i am not only leaking fluid onto the exhuast but also onto the top off the intake?!?!?!? wierd huh
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

That happen to me once. :lol: I had to drive a 30 min trip to the tranny shop. 5 min after I got there the smoke cleared and one of marylands finest was standing by my truck I was laughing so hard he started laughing too and he didn't write me a ticket. The smoke was so bad people had to pull over. It turned out that I blew the front shaft seal and it was flowing back onto the cat. :lol: I am sure HJ will be here soon to help you out.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I am not going to be of much long distance help. You're going to have to pin point the source yourself. The lines don't go up to the intake. The filler tube is up there. The fans can blow that stuff everywhere, so look hard for a source.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

look at your tranny filler tube, see the spounge on the tube, about three inches down? i squeezed that and tranny fluid poured out!!! i am telling you, there is tranny fluid on the rear of my intake, its like puddled up, praise Jesus for extended warranties, its going in tomorrow under warranty, and i get a rental, probablly give me some Japanese sub compact that i can fold up and park in my back pocket!!!! but as far as the cat, thats what was burning it, dripping on the cat, is there any way it can push up thru the filler tube, it smoked worse under acceleration, (therefore more pressure) so i dont know????
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That sounds like the vent / breather tube. Is it overfilled?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

i dont think so, i filled it up last friday, was very careful not to overfill, plus if i did overfill i think the towing a trailer 100 plus miles then turning around and doing the same all the way home would have made it smoke to? but it has been leaking either way, when i first checked it the tranny was hot and there wasnt any fluid on the dip stick at all!!!
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Sounds like tranny overheating to me. Numerous causes may be at work. Convertor failure, slipping clutches, slipping bands, and even just plain working it hard with very low fluid level just to name a few. And yes I have seen them so hot they puke out the dipstick tube. Also so hot the insides looked like they were varnished thickly with an ugly dark brown varnish. Also seen em so hot when pulling pan off fluid hit the cement floor and turned hard like some kind of plastic or something. Brittle enough to pick up (after cooling of course) and break or crumble.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
Miles
Crew
Crew

Post by Miles »

I just went through this exact same thing on my Blazer!

CLICK

It's the input shaft seal on the transfer case that is bad. It's allowing fluid from your transmission to get in to the transfer case, and over fill it. The only real outlet for the fluid is the transfer case vent tube.....which is what is located about 3"s down the transmission fill tube.....just above the intake.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts, that if you pull the fill plug on the back side of your transfer case, transmission fluid is going to geyser out of it! :lol: Just be sure to buy the double lip seal for the input shaft when you replace it.
[size=75][b][color=orange][i]~Jeremy[/i][/color][/b]

[i][b][color=blue]'00 ZR2 Blazer, 33" KM2's on PA3's, Lock Right in Iron front diff/Detroit Locker in rear, sway-bar disco's, 1-Ton P & I Arms[/color][/b][/i]

[b][color=yellow]BlaZeR pics [/color][/b][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/b240/Muslhed/Best%20Blazer%20pics/][b][color=red]HERE[/color][/b][/url][/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

so you think thats what it is, i am under extended warranty still it has now been in twice for the exact same thing, this time the GM tech was the last one to touch the tranny fluid level and he said that it was perfect, then i am back the next day and thankfully it stayed smoking all the way there so when i pulled into service smoke filled the area, but the tranny level was still right where it was supposed to be, is this what you were having also?

PS very upset with the extended warranty company, they just run a computer check and say its good, i am a weapons maintainer, if you bring me a broke M-16 i dont run a computer check on it, for Christs sake, its mechanical,

sorry for the ranting, i told the Service Manager the next time he heard from me i would be sitting on the side of the rode calling asking him if a black truck is supposed to be covered in orange flames, cuz once it starts smoking im not stopping until its on fire or the tranny blows!!!!
HCO4x4
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by HCO4x4 »

Maximous wrote: i told the Service Manager the next time he heard from me i would be sitting on the side of the rode calling asking him if a black truck is supposed to be covered in orange flames, cuz once it starts smoking im not stopping until its on fire or the tranny blows!!!!
:lol: thanks great
[size=75]-2001 s-10 crew - K&N intake, 2" PA body lift, tbar crank, bilstein shocks, 15" american racing baja rims, 31x10.5r15 bfg MUD terrains[/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I have to agree with Miles on this one. My wifes mail truck is doing the same thing except without the smoke. Every oil change I check the transfer case and drain any excess. During the winter it's usually none. During the summer it could be over a quart before I added the transmission cooler. It's not as bad now with the transmission cooler but I still need to replace the seal one of these days.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed