Rear axle/diff bearings and seals

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

12bridn
Regular
Regular

Rear axle/diff bearings and seals

Post by 12bridn »

Just exactly how hard is it to replace all the bearings and seals in he rear end? For reference to my skillset, I was able to install new front wheel bearings and axles myself, and have rebuilt 2 stroke dirtbike engines. Is this something tha tis fairly doable with a decent shop and tools? Any special tools I would need?
[size=75]2004 S10 ZR5 stock w/Leer cap 146K [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Axle seals are easy. Pull cover, remove bolt, pull pin, remove C-clips, remove calipers, slide axles out replace seals/
Pinion seal will require an inch pound torque wrench and an air impact. Or a really big wrench to hold the yoke.

You should be able to tackle it if you felt good about the front wheel bearing change.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Horsehammerr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Horsehammerr »

Sorry! Different subject: Driving home yesterday at 55 mph on nice smooth mostly flat and straight hi-way, I noticed a pulsing humming sound coming from my frontend, sort of to the right side. I slowed down and speeded up but there was no change. Next I pushed the old 4-hi button and the noise stopped instantly. Pushed 2-hi, noise is back. It's not real load but I've never heard it before. When I change oil I always lube all points and yank and jerk everything on the front-end, my hi-tech wear inspection. Can this be something internal ? Any idea what to look at ?
[size=75]'02ZR5 YellowCruzCab-Airbox chopped,Quadlights,Intake defuser chopped,Precat chopped,HD Bilsteins, 9x16 '84 Corvette wheels, NEXEN 245/50 tires, front & rear Sway bars, All Poly bushings in full suspension, front lowered 3 1/2", ZR2 rearend with 5" suspension lowering , FUN FUN FUN
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Horsehammerr wrote:... I noticed a pulsing humming sound coming from my frontend, sort of to the right side...I pushed the old 4-hi button and the noise stopped instantly. Pushed 2-hi, noise is back. ..Can this be something internal ? Any idea what to look at ?
Check you actuator cable. You may have a sticky cable and the axle shift collar is not fully releasing?
Wheel bearings are another possibility as are brakes. Look it all over good.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
12bridn
Regular
Regular

Post by 12bridn »

From the sounds its making I think the bearings are bad too. Guess I'll just take it apart and see.
[size=75]2004 S10 ZR5 stock w/Leer cap 146K [/size]