Front suspension knocking noise-no more!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Front suspension knocking noise-no more!

Post by Socaldave »

This will be a long post but here goes!

I had a knock/thump noise in my front suspension that was really bothering me and I think the dealer/GM finally fixed it! During slow turning maneuvers such as pulling in and out of a parking space, or cruising down the road and applying the brakes as you slightly turn the wheel to start a turn onto a side street, I would get a knock/thump in the front end and I could actually feel it in the floor board area. It was like something was shifting under a lateral load. The wheel stops had been lubed, torsion bar mounts checked and lubed, sway bay links checked and lubed, and even the left side ball joints replaced. None of this worked. Then they were trying to tell me it was the body mounts being torqued as the frame flexed. At 2 miles an hour in a parking lot while pulling in and out of a parking stall? I donít think soÖÖ :x

At this point I entered into mediation with GM, and was threatening them with arbitration under the lemon law, before I really got their attention. I was not happy with many things about my truck like the balance shaft rattle, the unreliable gas gauge, leaking shocks, clogged injectors twice, door weather strip, and mis-aligned doors. The front suspension noise especially concerned me. Something was making metal to metal contact and over time I worried about a failure. I have had it in the shop way too many times. Three attempts to fix the gas gauge did nothing, 4 attempts at the suspension noise did nothing, and never an explanation to what turned out to be the balance shaft rattle. I actually figured that one out on my own, thanks to the post here on the balance shaft service bulletin and further searches of the intranet. Last week they finally sent out a factory field engineer to personally look at my vehicle. This guy told me that there is no fix for the unreliable gas gauge at this time but they are working on it. He acknowledged the rattle at about 1800 rpm under a light load as the balance shaft. He said it is a known condition which is only an annoyance and will cause no long term problems. I guess I will have to live with it even though those type of noises really bug me! :x

The cause of the front suspension knock seems to have been in the control arms. The right upper arm was not torqued properly and the lower left was the same way. The technician also said he removed all the control arm bolts and lubed them, and found a burr on one of the bushings which allowed things to not seat properly. Been driving it a week now and no front suspension noise. Woo-hooÖÖÖÖÖÖ!!!! :D

One last item. I told GM up front that I would work with their factory rep and not pursue arbitration at this time. I reserved the right to pursue it at a later date if problems continued to arise. In turn they had to acknowlege/explain the gas gauge and balance shaft problems, and the problem with the front suspension noise had to be fixed. I also requested my money back on the 5 year 75,000 mile Major Guard extended warranty I had purchased, and they had to give me a 6 year 100,00 mile zero deductible Major Guard warranty free of charge. Sort of put your money where your mouth is, and they agreedÖÖÖ :wink:

I am satisfied for now and hope that the rest of my time with the Crew is trouble free. I do like the truck but I am still have reservations about it. Time will tellÖÖÖ :?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

wow

so i have had the same noise. exact same! lateral movement and everything. it happened all last year but now has gone away on its own :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:shock:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

The technician said that "the A-arms were most likely properly torqued at the factory, but in the real world we like to see them tighter". I think what he meant was he usually puts a little more effort in tightening them up. Hey what ever works! :)

I had read and heard of other remedies to this suspension knock. Everything from ball joints, to bad torsion bars mounts, loose A-arms, bad idler arms, and even suspension components not lubed properly. Mine appears to have been the A-arms. Hope this helps others with the same symptoms..............
Jim

Post by Jim »

Nice Work with GM,

Here's a link to some Balance shaft stuff I found out within the first 2 weeks of listening to mine :shock:

http://www.thebestbuddies.com/pic/modin ... eshaft.htm
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Jim,

I have already seen that one. Very informative.

Thanks,

Socaldave
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SoCal , thanks for the "Heads-up" I'm going to check mine at my next service :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Socaldave described my noise to a "T" as mentioned in the Thump / clunk sound from front :D

Am just glad I tried a different SEARCH today and located this topic. I was leary of a 6 hr road trip coming up on Saturday. Will get an appointment next week and submit (humbly) an edited version of Socaldave's comments for them to check out.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Finally found out what my front knocking was :evil:

I took my CC to my co-worker's husband's dealership the next town over. Gave him a list of all the things I had checked and an edited version of socaldave's experience.

I got a call yesterday that they had found the problem :D

The bolts that tightened down the cams after adjusting camber and caster were not torqued to factory specs. He knows the whole story of my Z height issue with the local village moron service manager and I think he was being kind to him. Reading between the lines, I believe he meant that they had not been tightened at all. His dealership did not have an alignment rack like my local one has and it was sent out yesterday for alignment. Should have it back today.

Will be happy to return the 04 Malibu he loaned me. The only good points to the malibu was the milage and the seat backs. They're actually similar to racing bucket seats with good side bolsters. Would hold you well in a hard corner, if the Malibu was capable of a hard corner :roflmao:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

hmmmmmmmm...wil the seats fit in our crewcabs???? another mod???
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I had the same noise a while ago, they told me that the torsion bar brackets were loose, tightened them up, sounds great.

Same noise just came back today with my drop down brackets for the torsion bars. 2 bolts were loose. Tightened them up, problem gone.
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

sorry for being dumb, but can you show with a photo what bolts you tightened?
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

i have the same kinda noise and would like it if you had some pics maybe i can tighten em and see if thats what im getting
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]