Leaking brake fluid after brake change

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Leaking brake fluid after brake change

Post by bradjh »

Well i did all four discs brakes and replaced the rotors last night. When i pushed the caliper in with a clamp brake fluid came out of the driver side wheel well below the master cylinder. Did i mess someting up. i did not loosen the bleeder or any thing else. the pedal feels pretty tight. If i have some on hit the brakes while i loosen the bleeder screw will my pedal get tighter? where is the bleeder screw? Thankyou for all your help. Brad
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

You probably just forced fluid out of the resevoir when you collapsed the caliper pistons. Happens all the time if you add brake fluid between rotor or pad changes. Bleeder screws are on the backside of the caliper near the top. If your pedal is tight, then I doubt you have any air in the system...air in the system is indicated by a low/spongy pedal. You may not have to bleed them.
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:You probably just forced fluid out of the resevoir when you collapsed the caliper pistons. Happens all the time if you add brake fluid between rotor or pad changes. Bleeder screws are on the backside of the caliper near the top. If your pedal is tight, then I doubt you have any air in the system...air in the system is indicated by a low/spongy pedal. You may not have to bleed them.
x2. Did it myself on one of my first brakejobs ever. I freaked out until I saw the top of the mastercylinder was covered. Youre alright
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper though.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

f9k9 wrote:Brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper though.
Long term yes, short term, no
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

The chemistry may have altered in a major way in the last 3 decades. It was the easiest way to remove paint from bike's fuel tanks when I messed with them. Thanks for correcting me.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Rusty Shackleford
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

GM and ASE do still recommend immediate removal of brake fluid from painted surfaces..so yeah, hose out your engine bay.

Second thought, better wash the whole thing.
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Im not sayin leave it on by any means, but quick exposure isnt gonna require a touchup