The abilty to move at high speeds

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

The abilty to move at high speeds

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I am just polling on what CC drivers think about how their trucks handle at high speeds (75mph+). Other than the, "you shouldn't go that fast", "you may hurt someone" speech. Any of you that have driven on any major beltway know what I mean! (This is based on a basicly stock suspension.)
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

You will see that many people probably suggest replacing the stock shocks because they're not that great which make the handling bad. Also, some people have a rear sway bar, some don't. Others may have the polyurethane sway bar bushing things on the front which also help. But stock, it's not that great. I do know that it was better before my truck had the 2 inch body lift and 30" offroad tires but it was never a sports truck! There are definately many things you can do to improve handling, which means it isn't that great to begin with.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Idaho speed limit is 75 mph for interstate highways. Mine hold 75-80 just fine. Handling is pretty good for a truck.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
purduecrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by purduecrew »

i drive like a prick and I love the way the crew handles! And im on all stock suspension parts except for the rear Boise springs. the truck does have a front sway bar, and I think the BFG's really take some of the lateral movement away. Ive never been scared up to 100 as of yet. Oh and my driving includes, 200 miles of interstate through Indianapolis and I also drive at Purdue, which has moving targets, er obstacles (pedestrians).
[size=75]2003 Black CC
Hot Feet Fix - Quad Light Mod - 30x9.5 BFG A/T -PA3's - Boise Spring Works Kit - PCM TUNE
COMING: ?[/size]
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

The truck handles just fine going straight at 98 MPH, but as I recall, I took off my shackles and replaced them with air shocks instead because I had to make a sudden lane change at 80 and it handled terribly!
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

Mine goes around corners like it's on rails...read my sig for the mods.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Factory stock mine didn't handle well at all at speeds over 50. Front end was mushy in corners rear wanted to wander and body roll was terrible. With upgraded shocks,torsion bar tweak, PU Bushings, lift shackles, roadmaster active suspension, rear sway bar, front/rear spacers and good tires I can now cruise at 70mph and handle lane changes with confidence. I regularly leave the highway off ramp at 70 going into a large sweeping right turn followed by a sharp left curve at 50 with no problems at all (posted suggested speed is 35).
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

Thanks for the input. What about the governor?
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

This really depends on what you are used to... I have a 1997 S-10 with the zq8 suspension and 255 45 17" tires on it. I wouldn't describe its handling as good as what some of you are describing your crew handles. I put a set of shocks, a rear sway bar, Boise spring works kit and a torsen bar crank, on this the crew to keep from scaring the crap out of myself the handling was so different between the two. Now with this setup I think there would be many situations where the crew would roll before it lost traction... not always the best setup but it did greatly help the over all handling and towing.

Coming from someone that has spent a good many track days with a Z06 Corvettes and a 911 turbos... the crew still handles like a truck and is not a capable high speed vehicle. With some upgrades, however, it is far less scary but its still a top heavy, soft suspension, off road tired SUV. If you remember its limitations, you can get away with a lot. If you forget them even for a second a 80mph, it will bite you.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

MARBLEYARD wrote:Thanks for the input. What about the governor?
The computer shuts off the fuel at about 98mph from the factory. Any flash upgrade of the BCM (hypertech, pcmforless...) can remove it or move it to a speed faster than the truck can actually go.
GAS
Crew
Crew

Post by GAS »

100% agree with Daevans315! Sports cars are made for fast ride, 4x4 pick up trucks are made for carrying things to unreachable places IMO. And one more thing – usually when I drive around 80, dropping gas gouge indicator appears in my mind :roll: , so I slow down to 70 and drive 170 miles for ¼ tank.
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

170 miles on a 1/4 tank! The best I can get is 300 on a full tank.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Stock = mushy suspension, weak shocks, and soft bushings. :(

The result is terrible handling and sway especially at higher speeds like sudden lane changes.

Low speed handling is not much better.

In order to make the Crew handle a lot better I would suggest these mods in this order.

1, Bilstein shocks (waaay better than stock and probably the best shocks out out)
2, Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings (the difference over stock will surprise you)
3, Rear add-a-leafs, Boise spring pack, Roadmaster Suspension, or rear sway bar (the rear end contributes quite a bit to body roll)
4, Energy Suspension polyurethane upper and lower control arm bushings, rear frame and shackle bushings, and body mounts. (these all reduce suspension and body flex which even further reduces body roll and makes the suspension do more of the work like it's supposed to).

With all of these mods you truck will handle like it's on rails like Jim mentioned above. :thumb:

Steve