Freeze plug location on back of block?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Freeze plug location on back of block?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Gang I have a small problem -

Tuesday morning I drove to work, and noticed steam coming from under the cowl/hood when I parked. Hadn't noticed the temp gauge rising, so I popped the hood and quickly diagnosed what I thought was a pinhole leak in my upper rad-hose. I had to be in meetings in 5 mins so I dropped the hood and figured I'd deal with it after work.

I limped the truck a mile away after work to a buddy's house and got the upper hose off using nothing more than a $5 cheap-o multitool, and a pair of channel-locks. Went to parts place and bought a new hose and antifreeze. Replaced and cranked it up to let the thermostat open and circ the coolant around, and that's when I notice coolant pouring out of the bottom of the truck - namely it looks like it's dripping down over the trans bellhousing from somewhere on the back of the motor.

I can't see any signs of a leak from the topside of the engine bay, but when I get under the truck and shine a light up I can see dampness coming from above the trans on the driver's side of the block.

Anyone have a good idea of what sort of issue I've got? Only 2 things I can come up with is a freeze plug or a blown head gasket?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Intake manifold gasket, heater core fittings/hoses. :shrug:

Steve
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah - my dad just suggested Intake Man gasket - the Heatercore hoses run down the pass side of the motor and plug into the front - I can easily see them and rule them out.

Luckily -(I guess) - I go in for Knee surgery Friday morning, and won't need the truck for at least 4-5 days. I'll take it to my mechanic and tell him not to rush it through.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Good call Steve -

Mechanic says it's the intake manifold gasket.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Good call Steve -

Mechanic says it's the intake manifold gasket.
I've heard it's a common problem on the 4.3, and I remember having one replaced under warranty on the CC around 40k miles. :roll:

Steve
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah - something about it being a plastic gasket instead of the old style fiber/asbestos gaskets. Mechanic classified this one as technology making a less dependable product.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS