Torsion bar question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Torsion bar question

Post by Swbari00 »

I tried to search for the answer but I couldn't find anything but I am almost sure it has been covered before. Anyway, should the torsion bar adjustment bolts (I think thats what they are called) be about even? My driver side bolt is out way farther then the passenger side bolt.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yes and no.
They are used to level the truck. If one is weaker than another , the load is applied unevenly, or they are compensating for uneven rear suspension, one may need to be cranked further than another.

I have seen them grossly uneven and the only explanation given was that perhaps one could back down during shipping?
I don't really know.
My best advice would be to measure the height at the fender opening of each wheel. Make sure you are on even level ground and see if one side sags. Spend some time and adjust them to the maximum ride height and then level it side to side.
After that is done , run it in for an alignment.
Now be prepared. You may need to back them off to attain enough adjustment for caster. A lazy shop may have done this and that is why one is out further than another too.
Try your best to have them backed off evenly to the point proper alignment can be achieved.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

I think I will do that, I mean there is about 3/4" difference between the two.
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is about the same way mine was new.
I evened them up and cranked them to max Z height. We did have to back the pass side down a little to get caster in spec. They look pretty even though. It was probably only 3/4 of a turn difference.

Make sure you do not bottom the adjuster (pork chop) in the crossmember when you crank them up. Leave a little clearance. You can run them up enough to level things out pretty easily.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

So as far as I can tell, the passenger side of the truck looks to be about 1/2" higher the driver side.

Passenger side

Drivers side - note this bolt actually sticks out farther than the crossmember
Image[/img]

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is backed off quite a bit. It looks like it is close to hitting the threaded block for the bolt :?
The pass side is nearly maxed. I would be tempted to take the drivers side in far enough to match the pass side adjuster , count the exposed threads, and then see if the truck levels out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

I bought my tires at Sears and they also did the alignment, do you think there is a chance I could get them to re-adjust the bolts and redo the alignment? That is the only time any adjustment has been done to the front suspension and I can't imagine it would come like this from the factory. Thanks for the help btw.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

They might, and they might tell you that it is right where it needs to be.
It is likely that it is perfectly aligned as it sits.

If you are handy at all follow the directions on the mod page and adjust that bar up to match the other side. Take the time to level the truck up and take measurements. The alignment shop will not do this. All they care about is the alignment being correct , not the body sitting level.
If you want it done right do it yourself.
Once you have it where you want it. Take it in and tell them that the bars were incorrectly adjusted and you have corrected the discrepancy to level the truck back up. It now needs alignment. Be sure it is loaded as it would normally be and the all the tires have equal pressure.
I stack 200# of weights in the drivers seat to account for my weight when I do an alignment. Every little change in ride height affects the alignment on an IFS.

- ThunderII KE7CSK