Stiff Stock Suspension

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stiff Stock Suspension

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

I have an 03 Sonoma ZR5. My suspension seems really stiff. Is this normal with the ZR5 package?

It seems like its starting to create rattles in my dash area which tends to annoy me. :x :lol:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

The suspension is junky on the Crew Cabs. The best suggestion would be to replace the stock shocks with bilsteins or anything for that matter. It'll be better than what you have. The ZR5 package has nothing to do with the suspension. All that the ZR5 package is, is an appearance package: Step Bars, Bed Rails, Roof Rack, Fender Flares, Rims, and Stickers.
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Do you have your torsion bars cranked real far? :?:

Are you still using stock shocks?

Steve
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

No I haven't touched my stock suspension at all. It is how I drove it off the lot 6 months ago.

Well that is informative. I thought the ZR5 had some upgraded suspension. Oh well.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Merely cosmetic I am afraid to say.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

BobbleSmitty wrote:The best suggestion would be to replace the stock shocks with bilsteins.
I would suggest upgrading to Bilstein shocks as well. :wink:

Steve
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Well thanks everybody. You learn something every day. I will have to look into replacing those stock shocks.

Most stock stuff sucks anyways!! :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SonomaCrewCab wrote:.....................Most stock stuff sucks anyways!! :wink:
Our OEM shocks are also just for cosmetic purposes :lol: If, you replace your own you'll see what we mean.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

the stock shocks are way soft. replacing them with real shocks that actually work make it stiffer.

what PSI are your tires at? and what load rating tire do you have on your truck?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

a2b wrote:the stock shocks are way soft. replacing them with real shocks that actually work make it stiffer.

what PSI are your tires at? and what load rating tire do you have on your truck?
Good point! :thumb:

You just might be onto something here. :wink:

Steve
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

killian96ss wrote:
a2b wrote:the stock shocks are way soft. replacing them with real shocks that actually work make it stiffer.

Good point! :thumb:

You just might be onto something here. :wink:

Steve
well i have seen this a few times before. rattling dash=tires
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Really? Hmmmm. I will have to check on the tires. I know that they are 40 psi rated because I just checked them a few days ago.

The tires say Dayton Timberline A/T on them.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

SonomaCrewCab wrote:I know that they are 40 psi rated. The tires say Dayton Timberline A/T on them.
What psi are you running them at? :?:

Steve
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

I think the stock suspension is mushy. I really would like to do something to make it ride stiffer and raise the back up as mine sags.
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

40 psi.

Funny you mention that Wrangle because I have always swore my rear sagged too. I asked my dad about it for a 2nd opinion and he didn't see it. I get really meticulous with my vehicles though and notice all the little things. Sometimes its a curse! LOL!
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Wrangler & SCC - shackles, or add-a-leafs, or new spring packs will take care of that. Shackles being the only thing that wouldn't really affect the ride of the truck - the others will make it a little stiffer.

you might want to back the PSI in those AT's down to like 35-36 see if you feel a difference - the BFG AT is a C-load rating and it's harsh at 40psi. If your Daytons are c-load rated you might be seeing the same thing.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I would try 32 psi which is close to the recommended factory specs.

I run 30 to 32 psi in the tires on both of my S10 Blazer's and it seems to work pretty good without being too harsh,

40 psi is too high even though the tire can handle it. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BobbleSmitty wrote:... The best suggestion would be to replace the stock shocks with bilsteins ...
I would follow this advice first. If you don't like the ride after that, we can look to other suggestions.

I run 40 psi in mine all the time. I do have lots taller sidewalls and BFG AT/KOs which ride nicer than the bargain basement stock tires that you got stuck with. I also pack more weight than most since I carry 60 gallons of fuel when full.

There is a good post on tire pressures and finding the optimum pressure for your application and loading.

Tire pressures and airing down for offroad

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Awesome! Thanks everybody for your input. I will see what I can come up with. Ya, I figured the dealer probably put cheap tires on it before they sold it to me.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

just do that math.

look at how much weight those tires are supposed to hold at max pressure 40psi. for example. if your tire can hold 5000 lbs then all your tires together can hold 20,000 lbs. if your truck weighs 5000 lbs. then your tires are going to be crazy hard and make for a bumpy ride. you would be able to run about 15 psi and be good, lol.

just get a tire that has a load rating around 2k, then run 30 or so psi and see how it rides. if you really want to get it right, measure the heat coming off the tires after freeway driving and make sure its even accross the tire :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\