Front end noise *solved* ( Wheel bearing )

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Front end noise *solved* ( Wheel bearing )

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I have a noise in the front end that is similar to a tire noise. The tires are brand new 31" BFG AT KOs and after rotating them, the noise didn't change or move. It's hard to hear this noise at low speeds but when I reach 60 to 70 mph, it's very noticable. I'm guessing it's a wheel bearing or CV axle. Sometimes I hear a pop when making a slow sharp turn into a dip. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to narrow it down? I do have the torsion bars cranked so the axles are at a pretty steep angle. It's a 2001 CC that I bought new and now has 160000 miles. 90% of the miles are highway miles and I haven't replaced anything in the front end. I feel very lucky to go this long without having to do anything.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Front end noise

Post by barch97 »

I can't help you with the noise but...
Yellow Hammer wrote:160000 miles
A hundred and sixty thousand miles? That's both impressive and reassuring.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

My work is all travel. The truck has been very good to me.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

If it's worse in the turns it's your CV boot and hopefully just the boot. Over time the boot will dry rot and fall apart causing the grease to leak out. Once that grease leaks out, the joint will be metal on metal and eventually wear out. :alert: FIX SOON and maybe you will get away with only replacing the boot. :nana:
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

I'm pretty sure it's not any of the boots. I inspected them for tears and cracks and they look ok. Also, there is no indication of grease being thrown out of the boot. I had a boot come off once and all the grease was thrown out and got everywhere. I repacked with grease and put a better clamp on to keep it from happening again.

It could be a combination of the wheel bearings and CV joints. All the history of what I've read in this forum points toward a wheel bearing but the popping noise when I turn makes me kind of suspect a CV joint. It wouldn't surprise me with as many miles that I have and the torsion bars being cranked so much.

Is there any troubleshooting tips from anyone on how to determine if a wheel bearing is bad without having to disassemble the wheel hub? Same questions goes for the CV joint.

Thanks

Roll Tide!![/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

Most recently, I had to test drive a customer's car. (I work at an auto body repair shop) He was complaning about a vibration in his gas pedal. It was so slight but you could feel it in small waves, with a slight hum and vibration. My mechanic confermed it was a wheel bearing. The best way to find out cheeply and quickly is, jack it up, and try to move the tire, not around but in and out. If it moves it's bad and should be obvious if it is real bad.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

Thanks for the help. It ended up being the right front wheel bearing. I got a little movement by moving the wheel back and forth so I took off the brakes and found a very noticable grinding when I turned the wheel. I replaced the hub and it made a 110% improvement.

Roll Tide!![/size]