About these Caliper Pins.....

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

About these Caliper Pins.....

Post by 2kwik4u »

SO I tore into the back of the ZR5 this weekend to inspect the parking brake. I DID NOT like having the boat drag my truck backwards down the ramp with the pedal fully depressed. I adjusted both parking drums out a bit and it worked better, but I need more. Guess I'll start looking at the cables.....

WHILE it was apart though, I noticed that the brakes are wearing unevenly on the rotors, and two of the four rear guide pins are frozen. I would've lubed them, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the bastages out of there. They didn't loosen when turned with a wrench. They didn't pry out with a prybar.

How do I get those out of there to get some new grease in there? I'd like to put the truck on stands this week, and have all 4 rotors turned, get some new pads, and lube all the guide pins. The only thing stopping me is figuring out the pins, and what it takes to get some lube to those guys.

I searched, but couldn't find the infamous write up, although I did find several references to it. Perhaps it has the info I need?
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The pins just slide out once the caliper is removed. You can thread the bolt back in them to get a better grip if needed.
If yours are really stuck, you might try pulling the boot off and squirting some penetrating oil in there. A little turning and pulling may get them out.
If that is not enough, maybe a brass punch, or create a puller by using a piece of "all-thread" or a longer bolt and a socket that the pin can be pulled in to.

You may need to add a little heat to get things moving. That is another option.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer. Be resourceful and good luck.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Thats all I need to know. Didn't want to make a "puller" for them if they were threaded in there. I noticed one side pulled out just fine, but the boot stopped it.

I'll probably pull the assembly off, and bring it into the machine shop to work on it. I hate trying to fashion tools with it attached to the truck. Trucks going to be on stands for a few days anyway.

Recommended grease is just some high temp bearing grease? Or is there something special?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No bearing grease.

High temp brake silicone only.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Cool....Thanks again.

I'll get some pics of it sitting in the driveway on 4 stands. Should make a nice "redneck driveway" type picture :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Rednecks use plastic five gallon buckets , or cinder blocks ;)

- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I had to drill the two slides out of my brackets on a drill press, (one on the front brakes and one on the rear of the truck). :? Nothing else worked.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Now you can see why I have made such a big deal about lubing those slide pins. :wink:

I like to check mine at every oil change, and lube if necessary. :wink:

Steve
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

First check for mine. Bought the truck at 26k miles, now has 46k miles.....what a shame to have to check these so often :(.....And to think oil changes used to be easy :(
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by cdnuser »

I bought my truck used and the previous owner I guess never lubed the pins.

Even though I lube mine now, after a couple of weeks they start to lock up again. How can I fix this problem for good? Buy new calipers or pins?? :twisted:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

2kwik4u wrote:.....what a shame to have to check these so often :(.....And to think oil changes used to be easy :(
Make sure you use a good synthetic caliper grease and NOT any other kind of grease since it will dry up real fast from the heat. :wink:

Towing a heavy load heats up the brakes a bit more than normal so if you do this very often then you should check those slide pins more frequently. :wink:

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

cdnuser wrote:Even though I lube mine now, after a couple of weeks they start to lock up again. How can I fix this problem for good? Buy new calipers or pins?? :twisted:
You shouldn't need new calipers, but make sure you use the right kind of grease (see above). :wink:

If the slide pins had a lot of corrosion on them it might help a little to use some fine grit sand paper to remove some of rust.

If they are real bad just get some new slide pins.

You should also make sure the holes that the slide pins sit in are clean by spraying some brake cleaner in there to get out some of the crud that builds up. :wink:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I just got new ones when I finally got mine out. They were'nt expensive at all.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Tony
Crew
Crew

Post by Tony »

When you guys say guide pins, I'm assuming it's the 4 pins (2 per caliper) than the caliper moves back and forth on?
[size=75]-Tony
[b]2001 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab SLS[/b] | 4.3L 262ci 90º V6; Hydra Matic 4L60E |
0 mods getting it back to factory shape then modding.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Tony wrote:When you guys say guide pins, I'm assuming it's the 4 pins (2 per caliper) than the caliper moves back and forth on?
Yes, Sir!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
cdnuser
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: About these Caliper Pins.....

Post by cdnuser »

2kwik4u wrote:SO I tore into the back of the ZR5 this weekend to inspect the parking brake. I DID NOT like having the boat drag my truck backwards down the ramp with the pedal fully depressed. I adjusted both parking drums out a bit and it worked better, but I need more. Guess I'll start looking at the cables.....

WHILE it was apart though, I noticed that the brakes are wearing unevenly on the rotors, and two of the four rear guide pins are frozen. I would've lubed them, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the bastages out of there. They didn't loosen when turned with a wrench. They didn't pry out with a prybar.

How do I get those out of there to get some new grease in there? I'd like to put the truck on stands this week, and have all 4 rotors turned, get some new pads, and lube all the guide pins. The only thing stopping me is figuring out the pins, and what it takes to get some lube to those guys.

I searched, but couldn't find the infamous write up, although I did find several references to it. Perhaps it has the info I need?
I watched my mechanic do it. He added a "little" heat than pryed them out. added lots of lube, and re-install. Make sure if you destroy the rubber sleave inside that you replace it or you'll get a rattling sound.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

The service manual on my 01 crew says to use Silicone based lube. I had to order it from Amazon, I couldn't get it locally. The synthetic may be just fine or even better. I just don't like mixing lubes of different types.

link't -HJ

James
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

HenryJ wrote:Rednecks use plastic five gallon buckets , or cinder blocks ;)
Or just use a piece of 4x4. Rednecks
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]