Wheel Bearing Starting To Go ...more work before warranty is

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Wheel Bearing Starting To Go ...more work before warranty is

Post by Jim »

Over
Got around 44,000 miles on it and for the past 500 miles it's been sounding like a bad tire but the sound goes away when I turn left, it's there straight and right turns. Dealer says make an appointment they'll fix me up 50k 6 year warranty is still in effect. I asked about getting a trans service done then he said that will be $210 filter and flush.

What else can I get fixed?
Here is a list of minor faults;

Slight flair in trans when slowing down and then accelerating from 5mph or less.

Engine has had a slight miss at idle since new, off and on, been through 2 sets of caps and rotors, never had a plug out or a wire set.
They will want to charge me for a full tune up and it'll probably still miss, "right" :?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Your CC is still like new with only 44k miles. :shock:

Why did you have to replace your cap and rotor 2 times with such low mileage? :?:

Upgrading your spark plug wires would be a good idea, and IMO Taylor and MSD are the 2 best options.

Your spark plugs should still be good, but a quick check of at least 2 of them would be a good idea.

I would never pay the dealer to do a tune up since it's so easy to do yourself. :wink:

If you want to save some money you could replace your own trans filter and refill with about 5 quarts of ATF (this is only about 1/2 the capacity, but it still helps).

If you install a drain plug on the tranny pan or replace it with an aluminum pan with a built in drain plug then you could just drain and refill again and get most of the old ATF out.

The dealer should be able to diagnose the trans flair and possible wheel bearing noise.

With 44k miles on the clock I would drain and refill the rear diff, replace the fuel filter, replace the trans filter & add new fluid, lube the brake caliper slide pins, flush and refill the brake fluid, switch to "green" antifreeze, clean the throttle body, and clean the IAT and MAF sensors.

I'm sure you already know about all this stuff, but I thought I would just throw it all out there anyway. :wink:

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

Yes truck still looks new.
I put an Autozone cap and rotor on it at 29,000 miles and the Truck with 42,000 wouldn't start one morning had it towed in, they put a cap and rotor on it and it was fine. cost me $200 I was sure it was something else.
I did the trans filter and 5 quarts back at 24,000 miles, I figured a flush would be what most here would suggest. at 48,000
I changed the rear oil at 500 miles and 22,000 miles when I put the aluminum cover on, should I do it again?
Changed the Dex summer 3 years ago and the brake fluid, plan to go green this summer with some B&G flush and some green. Change the brake fluid too.
The dealer already said I gave him a classic wheel bearing failure description.
The flair has been discussed here, mine is very minimal unless I drive aggressively then it tends to suprize you. I'm hoping someone can give me a TSB number I can refer to when the service writer takes my request for repairs.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:.............The flair has been discussed here, mine is very minimal unless I drive aggressively then it tends to suprize you. I'm hoping someone can give me a TSB number I can refer to when the service writer takes my request for repairs.
Jim, I have been through the TSBs (my access is limited to the end of '05) looking for other stuff so many times and I don't recall anything similar to what you are having issues with. I will try to look again unless Brule chimes in :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

f9k9 wrote:
Jim wrote:.............The flair has been discussed here, mine is very minimal unless I drive aggressively then it tends to suprize you. I'm hoping someone can give me a TSB number I can refer to when the service writer takes my request for repairs.
Jim, I have been through the TSBs (my access is limited to the end of '05) looking for other stuff so many times and I don't recall anything similar to what you are having issues with. I will try to look again unless Brule chimes in :wink:
Here is a thread that may have had me thinking there is aTSB, my little flare or hunt for a gear isn't near as bad as they are describing
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewt ... light=slip
Last edited by Jim on Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best Regards, Jim
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I guess that maybe I should ask you what your definition of flare is. I have read about the the about of time it takes to shift from 1-2 around 15 - 30 mph. Is that anywhere close to being your problem?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

There is a TSB for a downshift flare in the 4L60E, but I can't seem to locate it right now. :?

I will try again tomorrow unless someone else can find it. :wink:

For those that don't know a flare is when the tranny suddenly slips allowing the rpm's go up for a second or two before returning back to normal.

It can happen on upshifts as well as downshifts. :wink:

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

Wheel bearing is growing pretty good now, it goes in Tuesday. I decided I'm going to have the Trans filter changed and a flush done at the dealership, I found a 15% off certificate online. I do a little highway driving so it's not discolored at all but my driving is mostly 2.5 mile trips so the fluid may never burn off any moisture that may have condensed in the trans. Here is how the fluid looks at 44,000 miles I'll post a pic after the flush too. I think they'll use the newest Dextron I think its up to 4 now.
P.S. I remember saying when I did the first filter change :x I think I'll pay someone to do this next time :D
Best Regards, Jim
Jim

Post by Jim »

Bearing Done quiet as can be.
Trans done smoth as can be. Here is the oil picture.
Best Regards, Jim