When your balljoints or idler arm go bad, how do you know?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

When your balljoints or idler arm go bad, how do you know?

Post by ace »

Is the main diagnosis of these going bad is a wandering or out of alignment feeling?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I guess what I'm asking how do you check these. Can I measure the play in the arm or move the balljoints?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Front Wheel Bearings Diagnosis

A trip to the alignment shop should be able to diagnose all the frontend componets condition.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I just found out from my shop's mechanic that both of my ball joints are bad and need replaced. (was causing HORRIBLE tire wear on the front end with an occational knock when turning) The good news was the parts were only costing a little over $100, the bad news is it takes five hours of labor roughly costing $350. He explains to me that basicly the whole suspension needs to be broken down to do the repairs, so... an alignment will be needed too. SHould be included in labor but I don't make the rules. Has anyone attemped to do this themselves and how did it work out? I work in a body shop and have mechanical skills but this is all new to me.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

If I remember correctly, the stock ball joints are held in place with a pop rivet as opposed to a bolt making it a not so DIY friendly job. The general consensus last time this came up was to let a shop do the first replacement and assuming they install a bolt in replacement, you can replace 'em yourself next time.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

barch97 wrote:the stock ball joints are held in place with a pop rivet as opposed to a bolt making it a not so DIY friendly job.
A 3/16" drill bit and a chisel will take care of those rivets, but yes they are a bit time consuming the first time around. :wink:

Steve
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

you make it sound like a rivet(s) is the worst thing to worry about. If it is I am totally cool with that.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

MARBLEYARD wrote:Has anyone attemped to do this themselves and how did it work out?
Try reading this topic: Cracked upper control arm bushings

My second to last post has a bunch of ball joint links. :wink:

Steve
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

Thanks for the link, I think my brain is full for the day :lol: I'm gonna let my mechanical dept. do it. My estimating program lists the OEM (upper and lower for both sides) for about $450 and that does not include the 5.6hrs of labor, no R&I on anything else, and no alignment. He said he'll do all four w/ alignment for $463.00. I don't have the time and who wants to do anything like this in this kind of heat. :nono:
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

MARBLEYARD wrote:Thanks for the link, I think my brain is full for the day :lol: I'm gonna let my mechanical dept. do it. My estimating program lists the OEM (upper and lower for both sides) for about $450 and that does not include the 5.6hrs of labor, no R&I on anything else, and no alignment. He said he'll do all four w/ alignment for $463.00. I don't have the time and who wants to do anything like this in this kind of heat. :nono:
Bring it over to my house, I'll do them for $200 :lol: As far as the heat goes, I did my roof in 105+ weather :?:
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Wrangler
Crew
Crew

Post by Wrangler »

Use Moog parts, Lifetime guarantee. Doesn't cover labor but parts will be free.
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

MARBLEYARD wrote:I just found out from my shop's mechanic that both of my ball joints are bad and need replaced. (was causing HORRIBLE tire wear on the front end with an occational knock when turning) The good news was the parts were only costing a little over $100, the bad news is it takes five hours of labor roughly costing $350. He explains to me that basicly the whole suspension needs to be broken down to do the repairs, so... an alignment will be needed too. SHould be included in labor but I don't make the rules. Has anyone attemped to do this themselves and how did it work out? I work in a body shop and have mechanical skills but this is all new to me.
Lovely! I have noticed a knock when I turn (sometimes) on my drivers side. Almost seems like when I turn into a driveway or somewhere that makes my suspension compress.
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I got my ball joints replaced Friday and WOW what a difference! I am glad I didn't attemp to do it myself, I watched the guy doing it and those rivets looked like hell to break off. I got lucky and got my shop discount saving me probably a couple hundred bucks!
CrashNburn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by CrashNburn »

SonomaCrewCab wrote:
Lovely! I have noticed a knock when I turn (sometimes) on my drivers side. Almost seems like when I turn into a driveway or somewhere that makes my suspension compress.

sounds like it could also be a bad CV joint,
SonomaCrewCab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by SonomaCrewCab »

Ya, I know something isn't right. I can feel it and hear it.
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

If this link is too large or doesn't work please let me know, I'm still new to this whole posting thing. :angel:

My 2005 blazer ball joint just went bad. It made a clunk on left hand turns, that is how I knew. 68 000 km's (42500 miles). Every thing else on the front end is tight because I could grease it every oil change, the factory ball joints had no zerks. :twisted:
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Do I need ball joint press to remove the lower ball joint?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
blaz
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by blaz »

Thank you! :D