Front Wheel bearing issues

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Front Wheel bearing issues

Post by PATRICKH »

Have been told by some that I can also look forward to replacing front wheel bearings pretty often (compared to other vehicles) Any truth to this rumor ??? :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Probably more often than rear wheel bearings, but nothing to lose sleep over.

They are a caged double ball bearing design. Tapered roller bearings are a better design and last longer. Nothing we can do about the design. I would guess that the width limitations may have had something to do with it?
I have seen the fullsize with the same style bearings go 150k+ miles and I am sure that there are S-series with the same results. My old S-10 has over 170k miles on one wheel bearing. I have close to 65k miles on one of mine now.
Roll the dice and see what you get.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:........Roll the dice and see what you get.
X2!

Have been a member of several forums for a couple of yrs. Have been told that some tire, wheel and spacers have destroyed many front ends. I am still happily rolling on my stock components but, will accept repairs when they become needed.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

I just changed my first one this past weekend on the right side.....wasn't too difficult once I found the right tools I needed. The next one will go easier now that I know what to do. My truck has 81,000 miles on it.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

If you do end up having to replace your bearings... let me know:

S10 Bearings at SO
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:........Roll the dice and see what you get.
X2!

Have been told that some tire, wheel and spacers have destroyed many front ends. I am still happily rolling on my stock components but, will accept repairs when they become needed.
X3 At 82K right now with no bearing issues. Yes, I replaced a wheel bearing not too long ago on the CC, but it turned out I actually didn't need it. The problem was the tire had cupped and needed re-balanced, so I wasted $140. :idea: Anybody need a "slightly" used wheel bearing??? :wink: :lol: j/k I still got the original in the bed of my truck.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Thanks guys. Hey Hog18Jags, what kind of tools would I need ? anything expensive ? I need an excuse to go to the snap on truck again anyway lol
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

You need a 36mm deep socket for the nut on the axle with a break-over bar. I also used a 18mm socket to get the bolts off for the capilar and the 3 bolts that hold the wheel bearing on. You will also need a 13mm socket and wrench, a 10 mm socket for the bolts that hold the ABS cable on. Some people may have used a gear puller to get the bearing out. I didn't have one so I used a small hammer. I also used a crowbar to hold the hub while removing the axle nut. Someone please feel free to add anything else I may have missed. Thanks.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

It's a lot easier to take the nut off by doing it before you pull the brakes off. Just put a brass drift or an allen key through the caliper into the vents on the rotor, which will hold the rotor in place while you pull the nut off.
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

That's a good idea. I just placed the crowbar between 2 studs and braced it on the shop floor, but I like your idea better. I will have to remember that next time. Thanks.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

yeah, i tried it the way you did it... except i used a tire iron. Figured there had to be an easier way, so i checked the Chilton's manual.... they suggested the caliper trick.
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

Thanks to all, I have most of the tools listed, just not the 36 mm socket. Now just have to wait till warmer weather (no garage yet)
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]
mudtaxi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by mudtaxi »

is the axle nut left handed tread cuz i can not break it lose
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Not on mine. Just really tight. Factory torque is something like 180ft lbs. First time I took mine off after buying a 36mm deep socket I used a 3/4 inch T-handle breaker bar and cheater pipe to loosen with the truck sitting on the ground and wheels on in park.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would suggest having a friend step on the brake pedal while you put torque to the nut. Or a bar braced between the wheel studs to prevent the hub from turning. That is the way I did mine. Stressing the drivetrain and risk of rolling the vehicle would be my conserns.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK