front drivetrain woes...

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

front drivetrain woes...

Post by Steventruck »

I have had a recent problem with my right inner CV boot coming unclamped on the big end. New CV clamps and hose clamps are not working to hold it. I will need to replace this CV axle soon because I don't want the old one to fail and leave me stranded. At the same time I do this, I will also replace a bad bearing (near the RH axle seal) and both axle seals.

To my understanding, CV axle replacement is:
  • remove wheel
  • remove big axle nut
  • separate a ball joint
  • slide CV axle backwards out of wheel bearing
  • slide CV axle out of axle tube
Am I missing anything?

Am I correct in thinking that the next step would be the seal, then the bearing?

Then re-assemble?

This is a big project for me. I have most of the tools for it (need BJ separator, seal puller, bearing puller), but never done CV stuff. Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

Steve :o
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

We have a How To section in our txzr2.com forum that among other topics has one on how to remove/replace your CV shaft.

Check it out here. You will need to become a member of our forums. :)

I just did it on my truck maybe a month ago.. biggest problem was getting the shaft out. Turns out that since the shaft has a snap ring you have to hit it from behind to "pop" it out. Step 9a was added by me.
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]
Steventruck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Steventruck »

So do I need to completely remove and disassemble the front end to get that shaft out or is there a trick? I registered at TXZR2 but I guess I have to wait for an administrator to review the account.

Can you copy and paste here?

Steve
[size=75]1999 ZR2 regular cab Chevy pick-up, trip computer, Knaffle lift shackles, Warn M8000, Leer topper, Blazer power seats, Leather steering wheel with radio controls... Basically comfort features for a leasurely off-road jaunt.[/size]
LonestarZ
Crew
Crew

Post by LonestarZ »

I am not sure about the angle thing but i just had to replace my cv shaft ( 4 times because they kept giving me the wrong part...for a regular 4x4 s-10). Anyways, it is pretty easy to change, since i learned all the shortcuts after dissassembling and assembling 4 times.
1. Take the tire off.
2. Take off the caliper and wire it up so it doesn't hang by the brake line.
3. unbolt the abs line from the upper control arm (2 places).
4. Loosen axle nut.
5. take cotter key out of upper and lower crown nuts on the spindle? (take nuts off)
7. get a BFH and beat the side of the spindle (next to the lower ball joint) to loosen the taper fit. The whole spindle should drop down.
8. with axle nut still on, beat the axle back through the hub assembly. It should just slide out...you know, since you just changed your wheel bearing. As you slide it out, you can swing the whole spindle out of the way, (still connected to your tie rod).
9. You should have access to the cv shaft now, it you can slide it out, you might have to remove just the lower bolt on your shock and swing the shock out of the way. If the "pot" on the cv won't pull out, just stick a pry bar behind it and it should slide out. My half shaft came with it so just remove that once you get it out and put the half shaft back into position.
9a. Disconnect the drive shaft from the differential carrier by placing a block of wood or a brass drift against the tripot housing. Firmly strike the block of wood outward from the case with a hammer. Strike hard enough to overcome the snap ring pressure holding in the shaft.
10. Put the new cv in, but double check the shaft length on the cv assembly and make sure it is the same as your original part.
11. Rebolt the shock.
12. Slide the axle end of the cv back into the wheel bearing.
13. Align bolts on spindle with the ball joints and put the crown nuts back on...I put a jack under the lower control arm and jacked it up a bit..i don't know if you NEED to do this but i found it helpful.
14. Replace the cotter keys in the nuts.
15. Re-attach the abs sensor line.
16. Put on axle nut
17. Then the rotor, then caliper, then the wheel, and anything else that i left out :-)

Note: i am 95% sure my terminology of all the parts listed above... if they are incorrect could somebody set me straight? Thanks.

Also, it can be done it about 2 or 3 hours (for the first time) if you have all your tools. I had mine down to about 45 minutes start to finish.

Good luck!
[size=75]Dave

[url=http://www.zr2usa.com/members.php?a=member&id=545]2002 ZR2 5spd[/url][/size]