Engine and Tranny Additive

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Freeser

Engine and Tranny Additive

Post by Freeser »

I have to admit, this question really doesn't have anything to do with my Crew Cab, but I figure anyone who's smart enough to buy a General Motors product (Chevrolet in particular) could probably help me out. The deal is: I have a 66 mile round trip commute to work everyday, and having just bought my CC on October 30, I wasn't crazy about putting all those miles on the rig just driving back and forth to work. What I did this weekend is buy a 1990 Chevy Beretta with 155,000 miles, and that will now serve as my runner. Problem is the transmission and power steering have a bit of a leak, not real serious, but I'm not real crazy about having spots all over my garage floor and driveway. Anyway, so I bought a bottle of Transmission Stop-Leak, and a bottle of Power Steering Stop-Leak, and I'm wondering if anybody out there has used any of these products. Like I say the car is a $750 runner, so I'm not real concerned about long term. I'm just interested in it getting me to and from work for a year or two. The brand of these products is "Bar's". The guy at the auto parts store said they've had pretty good luck with both of the products in the past, but if any of you fellas has any insight into either I would appreciate it. :?:
Jim

Re: Engine and Tranny Additive

Post by Jim »

Freeser wrote:I have to admit, this question really doesn't have anything to do with my Crew Cab, but I figure anyone who's smart enough to buy a General Motors product (Chevrolet in particular) could probably help me out. The deal is: I have a 66 mile round trip commute to work everyday, and having just bought my CC on October 30, I wasn't crazy about putting all those miles on the rig just driving back and forth to work. What I did this weekend is buy a 1990 Chevy Beretta with 155,000 miles, and that will now serve as my runner. Problem is the transmission and power steering have a bit of a leak, not real serious, but I'm not real crazy about having spots all over my garage floor and driveway. Anyway, so I bought a bottle of Transmission Stop-Leak, and a bottle of Power Steering Stop-Leak, and I'm wondering if anybody out there has used any of these products. Like I say the car is a $750 runner, so I'm not real concerned about long term. I'm just interested in it getting me to and from work for a year or two. The brand of these products is "Bar's". The guy at the auto parts store said they've had pretty good luck with both of the products in the past, but if any of you fellas has any insight into either I would appreciate it. :?:

I heard the stop leak swells the seals to stop leaks, but only to have them completely fail sooner. :shock: My opinion is to clean the engine compartment & undercarriage so you can find the source. My runner a 98 s-10 2.2 auto. was dripping all over my driveway the source a $5.50 quick connect coupling on the upper trans cooler line :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I don't think it was that brand that I used, but I did buy some "stop-leak" power steering fluid for my 99 Z28. It seemed to do the trick. I topped off the low power steering fluid with it and it didn't seem to lose any more fluid over the next 6 months or so. So I guess it worked OK.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]