Idler arm replaced

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Idler arm replaced

Post by WVHogRider »

Well, I finally got the idler arm replaced. In a couple other topics, I discussed that the technician found my idler arm was beginning to go bad. Recently, I had also noticed that my truck was starting to wonder around as I was driving. I purchased the new idler arm from Autozone and had it sitting in my back seat for some time now, (can't remember exactly, but probably a month or so). It took me longer than expected, but the extra time was due to missing tools, trying to the wriong tools to get it spread apart, and trips to the store for the accurate tools. Anyway, I couldn't find the fork spreader used on ball joints and such, so I made a trip to the store.

I took a test drive once the new idler arm was in, and :shock: I couldn't believe how much stiffer/touchier the steering was. I highly recommend that anyone that is noticing loose steering/wondering in their truck to check their idler arm and such. My truck drives like brand new. I also didn't notice the misterious bumping noises that I've been trying to track down. I'll keep and ear out for any new/old noise.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

what sort of bumping sound??? i have a new idler and pitman waiting to go in, and i have a clicking sound from the passenger side front end when near full right turn (sounds like a bad CV joint clicking, but it isnt) maybe could be the same sound as yours?
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Check your tbar hangers.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

mattfu wrote:what sort of bumping sound??? i have a clicking sound from the passenger side front end when near full right turn (sounds like a bad CV joint clicking, but it isnt) maybe could be the same sound as yours?
Mine was/is more of a bumping than a clicking. It's like something is loose in the suspension. I heard it even just driving over small cracks in the road.

I'll check the tbar hangers. Could this be how the crossmember is moving too much? Not exactly sure what I checking for other than the crossmember knocking.

The sound is pretty much gone. I still hear it a little, but definitely not as much. Now the main noise I hear is the passenger side tire rubbing the fender in a turn while that corner is squatting. definately need a body lift soon.

I also have a noise when I start the truck. It's also a knock noise. It's like the exhaust is knocking/hitting something upon initial start up, but stops as soon as the engine idles. I thought I had read something on here about the same noise and they had a broken motor mount.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Could be anything, but just what came to mind. I tie wrapped some rubber hose around mine when I did have them to keep them quiet.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

There was a knocking noise on my wifes S10 that took forever for me to find. The control arm bushings started getting bad so I replaced all of them thanksgiving weekend and found that one of the cam bolts on the top control arm was not tight enough and would slip when she hit a bump.

Try getting someone to drive over a speedbump real slow while you stand beside it to listen. If you hear it, just go back and forth across the speedbump until you find where it is coming from.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
Jim

Post by Jim »

JaVeRo wrote:There was a knocking noise on my wifes S10 that took forever for me to find. The control arm bushings started getting bad so I replaced all of them thanksgiving weekend and found that one of the cam bolts on the top control arm was not tight enough and would slip when she hit a bump.

Try getting someone to drive over a speedbump real slow while you stand beside it to listen. If you hear it, just go back and forth across the speedbump until you find where it is coming from.

James
The Hood Hinge problem these S-10's have sounds much more suspension like than you think it should. I'd check the hinges if you have a bumping sound over some bumps but not all.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Jim wrote:
JaVeRo wrote:There was a knocking noise on my wifes S10 that took forever for me to find. The control arm bushings started getting bad so I replaced all of them thanksgiving weekend and found that one of the cam bolts on the top control arm was not tight enough and would slip when she hit a bump.

James
The Hood Hinge problem these S-10's have sounds much more suspension like than you think it should. I'd check the hinges if you have a bumping sound over some bumps but not all.
Thanks. I will check both out, as well as any other suggestions. :x After further driving today, I noticed the bumping is still there, as is the bumping upon start up.