Yet another Wheel Bearing Thread

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Yet another Wheel Bearing Thread

Post by daevans315 »

Using the info on other threads I'm pretty sure my passenger wheel bearing is bad. With the links to the 'how to's' I'm pretty sure I can tackle the job with no problems. However, I still have two questions.

1. What do you think of these hub assemblies on Ebay? They have the same part number as the Timken and DYNAPAK hubs I've found in the $130 to $180 price range. Has anybody bought any of these?EBAY

2. I have access to a press. Its hard to tell from the pictures but is this bearing something I can just press in and out of the hub assembly and save the $$ of the whole assembly?
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

1. Check the price locally. Warranty service close by may be an advantage. Check to see if the new unit comes with a new sensor. The ebay unit may not. They are half the price, but I wonder if there is a reason?

2. A press will not be of help. These are a double caged bearing/hub assembly.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I'm thinking no go on the ebay ones. I asked "what is the brand name of the bearing and does it come with the anti-lock brake sensor" Here is the reply.
OE BRAND IS THE MAKE IF TE OEM HUB HADA ENSOR THIS ONE DOES ALSO
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The mastery of the English language does not impress me.
I would be a little nervous as well. I am still curious though. I suspect that they may never see the product. They just drop ship from a foreign marketer?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

IMHO, I'd go with the Valucraft wheel bearing at Autozone for $110 with a 3 month warranty before I would buy the Ebay one. :roll:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Forgot to add that I now need to replace my passenger side WB. I'll probably go with the $140 one from Autozone.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Well I swapped out the wheel bearing with the $140 autozone one. I was tempted to have autozone order the tiemkin $180 one but decided to give the off brand a try. I looked like decent build quality and the swap out took about 2 hours of work. There was a trip back to autozone to buy a 36mm deep well. I had a 36mm craftsman in my set but it was not deep enough to go over the end of the axle shaft.

Wow that bearing had been making a lot of noise. The truck is way quieter now.

Of course I'm sure a new noise will develop to take its place .. :?
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

FWIW, I now carry S-10 bearings made by wheel bearings inc. They retail for $160 at Summit... I'm selling them for $92.95 shipped.

ZR2USA Thread

I'm working on a page to retail them on my site.
Last edited by Jigg on Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

AHHHHHH.. oh well.. whats $45... just a tank of gass. I'll try and remember you when the drivers side goes out.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:!: :twisted: And I just bought the $140 one from Autozone yesterday, and installed it. :twisted: However, as daevans315 said
AHHHHHH.. oh well.. whats $45... just a tank of gas. I'll try and remember you when the drivers side goes out.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Guess what.. I get to do this job AGAIN!! :twisted: ABS light came on and it appears to be the passengers wheel sensor. At least its still under warranty.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

FWIW, you don't have to replace the entire thing, you can replace just the sensor.
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Jigg wrote:FWIW, you don't have to replace the entire thing, you can replace just the sensor.
What? How, I thought it was sealed into the hub. I know the earlier trucks ~95 had the sensor seperate from the hub, but I was not aware that the sensor alone could be replaced on the later trucks.

It would save me some bucks as I have a bad wire on my Bravada and no matter what I do the twisting from turning the wheel seperates all my repair jobs.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

The sensor bolts into the hub with an allen head bolt. You'll need to take the caliper and rotor off to get to it, but you can just remove the bolt and pull the sensor out. Then remove the rest of the bolts that hold it to the A-arm and unclip it at the frame.

Reverse the steps with your old sensor and you're good to go.

I have a new bearing at home, i can take a picture of what i'm talking about if you'd like.
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

Jigg wrote:The sensor bolts into the hub with an allen head bolt. You'll need to take the caliper and rotor off to get to it, but you can just remove the bolt and pull the sensor out. Then remove the rest of the bolts that hold it to the A-arm and unclip it at the frame.

Reverse the steps with your old sensor and you're good to go.

I have a new bearing at home, i can take a picture of what i'm talking about if you'd like.
That would be great, if you don't mind. I guess I have never really looked at the bearing, I just remember the wire going into the hub.

I have not searched yet, but where would one get just the sensor?

Also, would it be possible to grease the hub with the sensor removed? Might not be a bad idea to squirt some new grease in these things every once in a while if possible.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

You can buy them from GM for $75. You can get one off of somebody who replaced their bearing and still has the old one sitting around. You can also just buy an entire new bearing and replace just the sensor until the bearing on your truck goes.

Not sure about greasing the hub.... i'll have to look at it closer.

I'll take a pic of that tonight for you.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I just spoke with autozone. No problem doing a warranty refund on a 'new' bearing with the 'old' sensor. So.. off to autozone to buy a bearing just to return the sensor. I'll try and take some pic's but it won't be till the weekend.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Good deal, less of a hassle for you.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

Snoman002 wrote:
Also, would it be possible to grease the hub with the sensor removed? Might not be a bad idea to squirt some new grease in these things every once in a while if possible.
The autozone guy read me their procedure for swapping the sensor separately from the bearing. It stated multiple times not to pry the sensor out with a screw driver or to put anything down the open hole. I would be a little afraid of putting more grease in there. Both because you might screw up the sensor read and because of grease incompatibility(unlikely but it can happen)
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

daevans315 wrote:
Snoman002 wrote:
The autozone guy read me their procedure for swapping the sensor separately from the bearing. It stated multiple times not to pry the sensor out with a screw driver or to put anything down the open hole. I would be a little afraid of putting more grease in there. Both because you might screw up the sensor read and because of grease incompatibility(unlikely but it can happen)
That probably answers my question.

I thought it was doubtfull that the reluctor ring actually sat in the grease, but you never know.

Hmm, $75 for a sensor. Thats a little steep, I guess I will try the used route. It's too bad I didn't keep the old bearing, oh well, live and learn.
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

This is maybe a ABS question now but its still related. I pulled the wheel off and immediately saw the problem with the ABS sensor. The wire was broken right at the first hold down clip. I thought I had it ran exactly the same way as the other side with the same amount of slack but I must not have gotten it right or got something up in there to put to much stress on it.

Any way... I looked at it and decided to solder it instead of pulling the whole sensor off. I cut the remaining wire, removed the outer shield for a ways and soldered both wires back covered each individual wire with heat shrink tubing and then put a double heat shrink over them both as a shield. Put everything back together. Still have a ABS light with the same code. 220? I think.. Passenger side sensor open to long.

Will this go away eventually or do I need to reset it. My ODB-2 tool will read the ABS codes but I don't see a place to reset them. The 'normal' reset does not clear them or turn off the light.
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

My recomendation, replace the sensor.

I just went through this with our Bravada, and no matter how well you do it, it will eventually break again. Once the integrity of the cable is gone you can't get it back. If your fix is too soft it will break the solder, if it's to stiff it will put to much stress on another part of the cable and it will break there.

The biggest part of this is you don't know what will happen. I had mine break again and instead of turning on the ABS light the ABS became WAY to sensitive, in fact they would engage on dry tar, even blew a stop light because of it.

Replace the sensor!

But to answer your question, the ABS light should go out right away (assuming you did the repair with the truck off).