HELP- front end 4x4 problems

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

mattfu
Crew
Crew

HELP- front end 4x4 problems

Post by mattfu »

hey guys, im having a scary problem that i cant seem to find an explaination to here, In 2wd my crew drives fine no problems, a few weeks ago i noticed when i put it into 4wd high and turned to the left or right while driving i had some resistance on the drivetrain, it didnt seem bad at the time, felt a bit like frame rub, this weekend i installed bubaloos shackles and raised my drivers side tortion bar only (they were eneven) , today i put it into 4wd high and turned all the way to the left and to the right and i have major resistance, i had to really push the gas pedal to move and could hear some wheel squeeling as if my front was locked up and i was pushing the truck along, i still have stock tires and no rubbing issues, my ball joints are failing and will be replaced soon, there are no problems turning in 2wd just 4wd , any ideas? this feels scary and expensive, feels like the front brakes are fully on when i turn in 4wd if that helps, any advice is good advice on this one. thanks
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

Are you on pavement when this happens? or dirt?

Gair
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

pavement , but it wouldnt matter , the resistance would still be felt on dirt as it is so extreme
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Never turn hard in 4x4 on pavement. The transfercase has no way to slip like a differential. There will be resistance.
This all sounds normal for our transfercase.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

^^^^^that's what I was thinkin'....everything binds up on the "inside" wheel while on pavement... I've had the same thought before myself. but then I tried it on some loose gravel/dirt....and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Give it a try on some gravel/dirt.
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

yes i understand having some bind up at full turn, but this is starting to bind at like 10-15 degrees from straight forward, i cant even make a simple right or left turn on a street in 4wd
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It will bind with any difference in speed between the front and rear. Any degree of turn will result in this.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

hmmm ya makes sence, so never use 4wd unless im on snow or dirt i guess, soopid question- i previously had a jeep cherokee laredo, why did i not have this problem with that 4x4 drivetrain?
thanks guys, its a scary feeling in the truk and a bad sound, i guess i just looked for something wrong first.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The quadratrac case may be very similar to GM's Autotrac transfer case that is used in the allwheel drive applications. It has a viscous clutch between the front and rear drives.
Basically, it has a way to slip. Ours is a direct gear driven unit.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
mattfu
Crew
Crew

Post by mattfu »

aahhhh so im guessing this makes the crew much more suseptable to t-case damage than other trucks when this bind up is happening, thanks again HJ, saved me another trip to the dreaded gm dealership
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Something else to check is whether or not you have the G80 locking rear differential. There have been times that I've taken off from a dead stop, with the wheels cocked, and felt some binding due to the rear wheels locking up temporarily. The Gov-Loc isn't the best locker, but it's more than adequate for most.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

assuming GM didn't put different ratio pumpkins at either end..... :)
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

RickZRX wrote:assuming GM didn't put different ratio pumpkins at either end..... :)
:lol: Ratio's? Who said anything about ratio's? We've got to get past the fact that one's a pumpkin and the other's a pear! :P
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...