New here and...lube question.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New here and...lube question.

Post by RickZRX »

...new to Chevy's ( I have 4 old Ford's in the front yard). Just bought an '03 ZR5.
Been reading up some & looks like I'll be throwing new rotor, cap, plugs etc on it. (Niehoff)
Now the lube question..
Going to run it on Mobil1, but which grade? not a fan of the "energy saving water like crap" my ex wifes Corolla used & I live in the Mojave so 110deg at this time of year is considered mild...probably something "thick" :)
Had a look at the fluids this morning & all appear clean/fresh so I'll run it as for 3K miles & then change engine/tranny, diffs etc & want to go full synthetic everywhere.... so what do I need to buy? (Wix filters is a given) Recovering from shoulder surgery last week so it's gonna be a while before I can do stuff anyway, but may as well get the supplies in so I have em on hand.

Actually not totally "new" to Chevy's, I used to have a former USAF aircraft refueller based on the '52 pick up with a 500 gallon tank on the back...wish I'd kept that :(

& how the hell do I turn off those annoying daytime running lights??

Any other advice/tips would be welcome... (especially regarding fuel consumption..):)

Here's a pic:

Link't image. 100k limit-HJ
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome :wave:

I can't help you with the synthetics as there are others here more versed in that topic.

A SEARCH Will reveal the answer to the DRL question, or you can just push the dome light dimmer several time, it will chime and they will be off.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Welcome to the forum RickZRX. :wave:

I use 5W/30 Mobil 1 in the winter, and 10W30 Mobil 1 in the summer. :wink: If it doesn't get very cold where you live, then you can just run 10W/30 year round. :D

As far as oil filters go, I like to use K&N oil filters. They are very high quality and are probably the best oil filters currently made. If want to use one then get part # 2001. :wink: I have heard that Mobil filters are good also. Don't use Fram oil filters! :lol:

In the front and rear differentials I use Redline synthetic Shockproof gear oil. I also use Redline high temp synthetic ATF in my transfer case. :wink:

:alert: DO NOT use any sort of synthetic ATF in the transmission. :nono: It will only lead to major problems down the road. :!: Stick with a name brand regular ATF instead. As far as transmission filters go, I only use original GM filters. :wink:

I also use GM fuel filters since Fram has been known for its failures. :roll:

Did I mention not to use anything made by Fram! :lol:

Steve
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

We have 30-40deg temp swings between daytime & night here so it can be 80at lunch time & 40deg at midnight... & in Winter in gets down in the 20's or lower.
I already avoid Fram so I'm ahead of ya there :)
So ya saying *normal* atf in the tranny but synthetic in the transfer case? Hmm.. ok...
I'll pick up a GM tranny filter sometime this week.

Picked up some Royal Purple gear oil for the diffs & some synthetic ATF for the transcase.

Ya think the 10-30 is better than 10-40?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

RickZRX wrote:We have 30-40deg temp swings between daytime & night here so it can be 80at lunch time & 40deg at midnight... & in Winter in gets down in the 20's or lower.
I think the 10W/30 summer and 5W/30 winter schedule would work well for you, although it would still be ok to run 10W/30 year round. :wink:
So ya saying *normal* atf in the tranny but synthetic in the transfer case? Hmm.. ok...
Yes, the tranny has clutches that will get burned up by the slippery synthetic ATF, while the transfer case doesn't have any clutches so synthetic ATF will work fine there. :wink:
Picked up some Royal Purple gear oil for the diffs & some synthetic ATF for the transcase.
:thumb: Royal Purple, Redline, and Amsoil are the top 3 synthetic oil producers. :D
Ya think the 10-30 is better than 10-40?
I think so, but I don't see any problem using 10W/40 if that's what you like. :wink:

Steve
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

I checked the Haynes Book Of Lies & it says 10-30 so thats what I went with (RP).
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

go with amsoil
heres a linkA M S O I L
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

jeff024 wrote:go with amsoil
I probably would if I could just pick it up at a local store...but around here it involves emails, phone calls & then waiting in for it to be dropped off etc & I don't have that much patience :)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

try here rick it will give you local dealers
DEALERS CLOSE TO YOU
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

Had a look at that link, it provides one guy the other side of town in gangbanger central :(
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

Welcome to the site! Where are you from??
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

Antelope Valley Ca.

Just found out I have what I assume are oversize tires, 30x9.5's?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

RickZRX wrote:Antelope Valley Ca.

not sure about oversized but yes they are larger then what came stock,I think the stock 275/35s were like 29.5s
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

jeff024 wrote:
RickZRX wrote:Antelope Valley Ca.

not sure about oversized but yes they are larger then what came stock,I think the stock 275/35s were like 29.5s
Um, the stock size tires are 235/75R15 with a 28.7" diameter. :wink:

Steve
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

Ah, so not exactly "overly huge" then :) They're Goodyear Wranglers, I've also heard good things about some Bridgestone who's name escapes me right now.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...the stock size tires are 235/75R15 with a 28.7" diameter.
Close. That (235/75R15) is the correct size for the optional offroad tires.
The stock tire size is 235/70-15 with a 27.9" diameter

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

I'm sorry to hear you have goodyear's I had nothing but bad experiences with those tires...BFG's are the way to go IMO
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:...the stock size tires are 235/75R15 with a 28.7" diameter.
Close. That (235/75R15) is the correct size for the optional offroad tires.
The stock tire size is 235/70-15 with a 27.9" diameter
:bow: Well, I almost got it right. :lol: I was recently looking at tires for the Blazer and it has 235/75's stock. I must have had the "75" stuck in my head. :roll:

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

gairbear wrote:I'm sorry to hear you have goodyear's I had nothing but bad experiences with those tires...BFG's are the way to go IMO
I guess it depends on what style Wranglers they are. :wink: My MT/R's are the best tires I have ever owned and they put the BFG's to shame. :P

Steve
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

Well I'm pretty sure mine weren't MT/R's...not really sure what they were...could've been the low end tires.....ida know
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

ok, got all the oily liquids I need, now it appears it's advisable to junk the dexcool & go with green stuff....

& my bloody grease gun has buggered off someplace so I need to go buy a new one of those...& some goop to go in it...

Anything else I need to know?
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

a flush kit to get all the Dex out and remove the overflow tank to get it all outta there
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

Okee doke.
Thinking of throwing one of these hoods on it:
http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/grphx ... 0COLOR.jpg

& what the heck are those plastic thingiemagummers on the rear pillars where the seatbelts hang? 2 bits of plastic joined by a peiece of elastic.. :? One of either side of the cab...

Also: that black(?) plastic grill part on mine looks like crap, probably going to refinish that part.
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

RickZRX wrote:
& what the heck are those plastic thingiemagummers on the rear pillars where the seatbelts hang? 2 bits of plastic joined by a peiece of elastic.. :? One of either side of the cab...
Our Bravada has those too.

I do believe that those are for the seatbelts, to pull the shoulder strap down for smaller kids so it does not rub their neck.

I think.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]