Dark coolant !

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Dark coolant !

Post by Blaze One »

I was checking my fluids today . I noticed something really scary . in my coolant tank , the color is not the normal green I am used to seeing , it was much darker , with a type of "oil slick" looking substance floating on the top . Not lots , but you could see it reflect in the sun light .

I just had my coolant changed ( with in 6mo. ) and last month it looked great . Now this .

I have a feelin this is bad .
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Check for a leaking cooler in the radiator if it is engine oil, or transmission fluid you are seeing.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
daevans315
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by daevans315 »

I had a similar problem in my 97 s-10. It was almost like soot building up above the water level. Eventually it turned the whole top half of the tank black. The coolant always looked a little dark in the tank until you pulled it out and actually looked at it in a jar and got it away from all the black.

At about 110,000 my radiator went. One of the plastic side tanks cracked at an odd place. After ordering the larger radiator from JTR and doing the swap I cut the old one in half to get it to fit in the garbage can. I found a 2" square area of the inside of the tank that was all pitted and half the thickness of the rest of the tank. This amazingly wasn’t where the crack was. I chalked it up to just a bad radiator, as I couldn't find any other people with the same problem.
Mine lasted more than 50,000 miles after the first black stuff appeared.

Here is my post from 2003 on s-series.org. I haven't ever gone back and updated it with my final results.
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
[size=75]"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?" - Bash.org[/size]