Old stock shocks

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Old stock shocks

Post by Swbari00 »

I replaced my stock shocks with some monroe's. they were cheap and all i could afford. my question is, when i checked out my old shocks, i compressed them and they just stayed compressed. Is that a sign that they were bad? the monroe's would expand if you compressed them.

also, is changing the rear-end lubricant as simple as removing the cover, draining, then new gasket, replace cover and fill?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

the answer is yes to all of your questions
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Jim

Re: Old stock shocks

Post by Jim »

Swbari00 wrote:I replaced my stock shocks with some monroe's. they were cheap and all i could afford. my question is, when i checked out my old shocks, i compressed them and they just stayed compressed. Is that a sign that they were bad? the monroe's would expand if you compressed them.

also, is changing the rear-end lubricant as simple as removing the cover, draining, then new gasket, replace cover and fill?
My stock shocks weren't gas charged, I took them off @ 6000 miles and they didn't expand. My guess is not gas charged shocks don't expand.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The stock shocks are most likely hydraulic and not gas charged. I just took a brand new replacement Delco shock and compressed it and it stayed compressed. :roll: GM is always trying to save a buck here and there, and in the case of our stock shocks they probably only paid a buck for each one! :lol:

Steve
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

now with the new ones it seems like they kinda have to charge up? if i jump on the back the first bounce and maybe second are very floaty, then after that it seems the shocks kick in and its nice and controlled again. is that normal?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

which model of monroes did you get ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

not sure, but they are blue :D does that help?

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Swbari00 wrote:is changing the rear-end lubricant as simple as removing the cover, draining, then new gasket, replace cover and fill?
Yes, just make sure you get the correct gasket that has the oiling holes on the sides for the wheel bearings. The stock gasket does not have these oiling holes and as a result it will wear out the wheel bearings and carve grooves into the axels. :!: If this happens you will need new wheel bearings and axles. :( I have seen 10 bolt rear ends with only 70k miles have this problem because of the stock gasket. :shock:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:... it will wear out the wheel bearings and carve grooves into the axels. :!: If this happens you will need new wheel bearing and axles.
That is a little blown out of proportion.
While I don't see the addition, or modification as bad, I also don't see it as causing harm not to.
Our stock cover has no provision to allow or direct oil to these holes. A gasket with a hole will offer no more lubrication since the cover blocks the hole.
Here is the original thread- Wrong differential gasket

Don't worry. These axles have been doing fine without the holes opened, and some would argue that sending too much oil to the axle tubes could be a problem too.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:
killian96ss wrote:... it will wear out the wheel bearings and carve grooves into the axels. :!: If this happens you will need new wheel bearing and axles.
That is a little blown out of proportion.
I guess you have never seen the damage the wrong gasket can do. :roll: I personally have seen the damage and on more than one vehicle with the 10 bolt. GM has been putting the wrong gasket on since 1989 or 1990.
A gasket with a hole will offer no more lubrication since the cover blocks the hole.
This is exactly why I installed a new aluminum cover and filed small channels to help the wheel bearing get the fluid that they need. If you look at the ZR2 diff cover you will clearly see that GM screwed up on our truck and several other vehicles. :wink:
Don't worry. These axles have been doing fine without the holes opened, and some would argue that sending too much oil to the axle tubes could be a problem too.
If you want to take your chances then go ahead and keep the factory defect cover and gasket! :wink: I do agree that too much oil flow to the wheel bearings could be a problem since it will allow the gears to run with less oil which will raise the temperature and promote uneccessary wear on the ring & pinion. :(

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:...I guess you have never seen the damage the wrong gasket can do...
You're right there. And I have been through quite a few.

I modded an aftermarket cover too, but still don't see this one as a "must do". Good idea? yes.

For a stock cover it is a non-issue.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

If you want to re-use the stock cover then I would just cut the gasket so that the inside portion of each hole is removed which will allow a little bit of oil to find its way to the bearings. :wink:

Steve
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Blaze One wrote:which model of monroes did you get ?
i got the blue ones...dunno what model tho

sry guys, ya stole my thread :crazy: lol, couldnt help it with this one

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Swbari00 wrote:...sry guys, ya stole my thread :crazy: lol, couldnt help it with this one
You have to watch what door you open...
Swbari00 wrote:also, is changing the rear-end lubricant as simple as removing the cover, draining, then new gasket, replace cover and fill?
That pretty much opened the door :lol:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

lol ok ok, point taken :D

a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

just dont use gaskets....i dont :P

i use the right stuff
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

a2b wrote:just dont use gaskets....i dont :P

i use the right stuff
can you give me a bit more into what the right stuff is? Im really kinda new to the whole rear end thing so any info will help :)

Thanks

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

He may be referring to RTV sealant.

- ThunderII KE7CSK