Getting lower ball joints, idler arm, & pitman arm

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Getting lower ball joints, idler arm, & pitman arm

Post by AZS10Crew »

I am planning on getting the above mentioned parts installed on the truck before too long and was looking for recommendations. I know people here have said the Moog ball joints are good. I found part #MOG-K5335 on Summit. Will I need any other parts to go with those or will they go right in?

Also, Moog has a pitman arm for our trucks, would you suggest getting that as well?

And what about the idler arm? Any recommendations on that?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Moog Pitman Arm # K6255

Moog Idler Arm # K6251T

Moog Lower Ball Joint # K5335

Moog Upper Ball Joint # K5320

If you do the upper or lower ball joints, then do both sides at the same time. If you want a new pitman arm or idler arm it is best to replace them as a set. My stock ball joint are actually doing very good with over 76k miles so far. I think the Mobil 1 synthetic grease that I have used from day one has helped. I am currently using Moog's pitman arm and idler arm (same part #'s above) and they are way nicer than the stock pieces. :D IMHO, Moog makes the best replacement steering components currently on the market. :wink:

Steve
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I'm planning on replacing both lowers...the uppers seem good still. I doubt I'll have the truck much more than another year or so, but we'll see.

The idler arm said only through 2002...would that work on a 2003 also? I assume it would.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
ludwis
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ludwis »

AZS10Crew wrote:I doubt I'll have the truck much more than another year or so.
Awwwwwww :cry:
2003 S10 Crew 4x4
Mods: 1.5" Front Spacers - GM Valley Hitch - WeatherTech WeatherFlectors - Bilstein Shocks - Boise Spring works 2" rear spring kit - Truxedo Toneau Cover - PopLock tailgate lock - Hypertech Tuning - SKIDS Flares - 2" Body Lift - ZR2 Axle upgrade
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ludwis wrote:
I bet he is eyeballing a Ford at his dealership. It wasn't but, a couple of weeks ago that he was talking SFA.

All kidding aside, how is the new job?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

f9k9 wrote:
ludwis wrote:
I bet he is eyeballing a Ford at his dealership. It wasn't but, a couple of weeks ago that he was talking SFA.

All kidding aside, how is the new job?
Going good. Fords are still needing lots of service so business is good. :)

I was only thinking SFA if I could get a good deal on the axles. The more I think about it though, the more it seems out of my price range. I might still do a Superlift at some point...I'm not real sure. Buying a Ford is a good ways off yet. Half the techs at my dealership drive GM vehicles anyway, so I'm not the only "outsider" there. 8)
[size=75]Mark
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

AZS10Crew wrote: Going good. Fords are still needing lots of service so business is good. :)

I was only thinking SFA if I could get a good deal on the axles. The more I think about it though, the more it seems out of my price range. I might still do a Superlift at some point...I'm not real sure. Buying a Ford is a good ways off yet. Half the techs at my dealership drive GM vehicles anyway, so I'm not the only "outsider" there. 8)
Well, I was merely poking fun and it's good to hear about the Techs driving GM rigs. Hopefully my vehicle decision days are in the distant future but, if I had to make the decision today, I'd upset a bunch of GM entusiasts.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

Toyota
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]