T-Case Problem

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Buckshot
Regular
Regular

T-Case Problem

Post by Buckshot »

I was changing the oil in my Zr2 Blazer and noticed some fluid leaking from between where the front driveshaft is and the transfer case. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the front driveshaft is way loose! Does anyone have a exploded view of a typical T-Case from a 98 Blazer ZR2 with a 5-speed? I'm hoping that all I need is a bearing and seal replacement. I have since parked the Blazer pending futher damage. :cry: Has anyone else had this problem?
2004 ZR5
1998 Blazer ZR2
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is one of a NP 231
That one differs from ours, but can give you an idea until I find a better reference.
GM data wrote:Propeller Shaft Replacement - Front
Removal Procedure
Important

Observe the position of all the driveline components. Accurately mark the relationship of the components before removal. These components include the propeller shafts, the drive axles, the pinion flanges, and the output shafts. Reassemble all components in the exact relationship to each other as they were before removal. Follow the specifications, the torque values, and any measurements obtained prior to disassembly.
1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Accurately reference mark the propeller shaft.
3. Remove the front propeller shaft bolts and yoke clamp from the front drive axle.
4. Remove the propeller shaft from the transfer case.

Installation Procedure

1. Align the previously drawn reference marks.
2. Install the shaft to the transfer case.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Important

Ensure that the propeller shaft assembly is fully engaged into the slip yoke. The retaining ring will produce a snapping noise when the shaft is properly engaged.
3. Install the front propeller shaft yoke clamp bolts to the front drive axle.
Tighten the front propeller shaft yoke clamp bolts to 20 N·m (15 lb ft).
4. Lower the vehicle.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Buckshot
Regular
Regular

Post by Buckshot »

Thanks for the reply. I just read on another forum that some "play" in the driveshaft is normal. When I first seen this "play" kinda freaked me out. The seal must have just started leaking so maybe I don't have as much damage as I think I have.
2004 ZR5
1998 Blazer ZR2