4x4 problems

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

RA
Regular
Regular

4x4 problems

Post by RA »

hey guys i took my truck in for some warranty repair on the 4 wheel drive. i noticed when i put it in 4hi and try to turn it is making some grinding noise and acts like it is locking up. the gm service department told me the front axle needs to be serviced. they said it would cost around 100$. has anyone else ran into this problem? i thought about doing it myself but i am not for sure if i should, it might be better to let them incase it does not solve the problem. what do yall think?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If it is warranty work, why do you have to pay for it?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You might see what a quick lube shop charges to change the front differential lubricant. If it is more then you could do it yourself. Be sure to keep the receipts for proof that you did change it and used the correct lubricant.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

f9k9 wrote:If it is warranty work, why do you have to pay for it?
They will not warranty anything that has a scheduled service interval, espicially if you havent servicd it. Thats the way we work here. I have seen alot of engine oil sludged cars that have skipped two or three oil changes and they always ask for reciepts. Normal repair is in the $1200 range. I think its worth it to have it done, dosent cost as much as replacing the whole axle. Just save your reciept in case it still does it, then they should take care of it under warranty. Just my .02!!
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

how often are you suppost to change the diff. fluid, i looked in my book is says to check it every oil change but i did not see were it talked about changing it. the gm service manager told me that the fluid gm uses is no good. he said they would replace it with a different type that is alot better.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

SONOMA915 wrote:
They will not warranty anything that has a scheduled service interval, espicially if you havent servicd it. Thats the way we work here. I have seen alot of engine oil sludged cars that have skipped two or three oil changes and they always ask for reciepts. Normal repair is in the $1200 range. I think its worth it to have it done, dosent cost as much as replacing the whole axle. Just save your reciept in case it still does it, then they should take care of it under warranty. Just my .02!!
I misread his question............my BAD :bonk:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: 4x4 problems

Post by Retep »

RA wrote:...when i put it in 4hi and try to turn it is making some grinding noise and acts like it is locking up.
Are you by chance driving in 4hi on dry pavement? That would be a big no no.:nono:
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

no, i was out at the ranch when i noticed it. the 4 wheel drive was working fine a month ago. i use it at least once a month needed or not.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

f9k9 wrote:
SONOMA915 wrote:
I misread his question............my BAD :bonk:
No I'm BAD , but i read it the same way you did.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

How many miles are on your truck and what is the recommended service point on the front diff?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

That is going to be a tough one. From what I can tell the owners manual does not set a specific interval.

It should be checked at each oil change and replaced if there are signs of contamination.
GM data says:
** Drive axle service.

Bravada: Drain and refill at first oil change. At subsequent oil changes, check fluid level and add fluid as needed. If diving in dusty areas or towing a trailer, drain fluid and refill every 25 000 km (15,000 mi).

Check fluid level and add fluid as needed. If driving in dusty areas or when towing a trailer, drain fluid and refill every 25 000 km (15,000 mi).

Locking Differential--Drain fluid and refill at first engine oil change. At subsequent oil changes, check fluid level and add fluid as needed. If driving in dusty areas or towing a trailer, drain fluid and refill every 25 000 km (15,000 mi).

More frequent lubrication may be required for heavy-duty or off-road use.
Chilton's manual says that both axles on a 4x4 should be treated the same and recommends changing the fluids at the first oil change and at 15,000 miles for dusty, dirty conditions or for a vehicle used for towing.

Heat and contamination are the enemies. Checking the condition of the fluid is the best answer. If in doubt change it.
Some will never change the fluid for the life of the vehicle. If rarely used I could see a 50 or 100k service interval. If you wheel in water it may need to be changed every other week.

The best thing to do is check the condition at each oil change.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I have been wanting a new rear diff cover and I plan on changing the gear oil front and rear when I install it. I know this is off subject, but is the gear oil the same front and rear or does the front one run something different ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GM Data wrote:Front and Rear Axle Standard Differential Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271) or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant, use only GM Part No. 12345977 (in Canada use Part No. 10953482). Do Not add friction modifier
The owners manual lists: Front and Rear Axle (Standard Differential) SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 1052271 or equivalent) and Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant; use only GM Part No. 1052271 Do Not add friction modifier

- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

HenryJ wrote:Front and Rear Axle Standard Differential Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271) or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant, use only GM Part No. 12345977 (in Canada use Part No. 10953482). Do Not add friction modifier

Do not add friction modifier in either case or its just with the Canada lubes?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BADs Crew wrote:Do not add friction modifier in either case or its just with the Canada lubes?
Do not add friction modifier

- ThunderII KE7CSK
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

i have 35,000 miles on the truck but my 3 years was last week. it seems strange that the 4hi was working fine 5 weeks ago. i never even thought about the diff. needing to be serviced and im still not convinced thats the problem. i will let yall know what happens i am taking back in the morning to talk to the service manager.
RA
Regular
Regular

Post by RA »

hey guys, i got the front diff. serviced at a quick lube place they charged me 25$ vs 100$ at gm. it did seem to fix the problem. i also got some new shoes for my truck 31" bfg t/a ko's i really like them. the truck looks a ton better. i did not have to do the tb crank they fit fine no rubbing. anyways thanks for the help you guys are super.