How to change rear differential fluid.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to change rear differential fluid.

Post by c schoelen »

does anyone know how to change the gear oil in the rear axle?
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Removal of the rear cover is required.
Many have taken that opportunity to upgrade the rear cover to one that includes a fill and drain plug. A truss cover is a good idea too , since the 7.5 and 7.625 rears are reported to be a little flexy.

If you're not "into" changing covers, just remove yours to drain the oil. Clean it up and use a bead of good RTV to seal it during assembly.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
c schoelen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by c schoelen »

how do i fill the fluid back up after i have taken the cover off? :?
[size=75]2002 S-10 Zr5 with: 6" superlift, 15" black rockcrawler rims, Airaid Intake, and 33 X 12.50 BF Goodrich Mud terrian Tires. Skidz Cut-out Flares[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There is a threaded plug on the front side of the differential. Use a 3/8" drive extension to remove it. Then fill to the bottom of that hole. (after re-installation of the cover.)
GM Data wrote:Front and Rear Axle Standard Differential Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271) or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant, use only GM Part No. 12345977 (in Canada use Part No. 10953482). Do Not add friction modifier
The owners manual lists: Front and Rear Axle (Standard Differential) SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 1052271 or equivalent) and Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant; use only GM Part No. 1052271 Do Not add friction modifier
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

with your truck having the SL you shouldnt even need to jack it to get to everything
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

jeff024 wrote:with your truck having the SL you shouldnt even need to jack it to get to everything
maybe not but I still drive my truck up on ramps to change the oil! The more elbow room the better :D

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I dont even put mine up to change the oil
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
michael_4x4
Crew
Crew

How often?

Post by michael_4x4 »

How often should the fluid in the rear diff be changed....and what else is some more good maintance to do?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

dont forget to grease your fittings/
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

Don't forget that if its a Posi to put Posi fluid back in.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

rick wrote:Don't forget that if its a Posi to put Posi fluid back in.
Nope. The G80 does not use a friction modifier.
GM Data wrote: wrote: Front and Rear Axle Standard Differential Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271) or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant, use only GM Part No. 12345977 (in Canada use Part No. 10953482). Do Not add friction modifier

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

OR, instead of pulling the cover you could get a $10 suction gun and suck the fluid out the fill hole. Won't get ALL the fluid that way but if the fluid is in good shape (read: proper change sequence) then it should be fine.

Do the CC's use the 7.6" rear? I figured they would all have the 8.5".
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Snoman002 wrote:OR, instead of pulling the cover you could get a $10 suction gun and suck the fluid out the fill hole. Won't get ALL the fluid that way but if the fluid is in good shape (read: proper change sequence) then it should be fine.

It is really tough to get a suction gun to drain the rear differential do the the fill plugs location beside the pinion. That does work pretty good for a front differential though.

I like to inspect the oil when changing. I used to like checking the gear wear as well, but upgraded to a cover with fill and drain plugs, so I don't get to do that anymore. I will pull the cover if I see debris in the oil though.

The CC's all got the 7.6

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blackmobile
Regular
Regular

Post by Blackmobile »

upgraded to a cover with fill and drain plugs...

Where'd you get the upgraded cover, part no. , price ? At what mileage/age did you change the fluid? I will have my truck for three yrs. in July, but have kept the mileage down (25,000).
[size=75]stock 03 CC
"Blackmobile"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Differential rear-end support cover

The first change for a truck with the G80 should have been at the first engine oil change (3000mi) Thereafter as conditions permit. Every 15-25k mi. is what I try to do. I do check the level/condition every oil change and will change it if contamination is present.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Snoman002
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Snoman002 »

HenryJ wrote:
Snoman002 wrote:OR, instead of pulling the cover you could get a $10 suction gun and suck the fluid out the fill hole. Won't get ALL the fluid that way but if the fluid is in good shape (read: proper change sequence) then it should be fine.

It is really tough to get a suction gun to drain the rear differential do the the fill plugs location beside the pinion. That does work pretty good for a front differential though.

I like to inspect the oil when changing. I used to like checking the gear wear as well, but upgraded to a cover with fill and drain plugs, so I don't get to do that anymore. I will pull the cover if I see debris in the oil though.

The CC's all got the 7.6
True, but I have been able to get nearly all the fluid out of mine that way. Granted, pulling the cover and inspecting the gears will always be better. The main reason I did mine that way was because I busted one of the cover bolts and the jimmy rig I did to stop the leak makes changing the cover a PITA.

I'm supprised the CC's got the 7.6, I figured with the extra weight they would use the 8.5, that and I thought most of the newer 4.3 S_Series trucks got the 8.5 anyways.
[size=75][b]1991 GMC Sonoma Extended Cb[/b] - 4.3L Automatic, 2" BL, 31" BFG's.
[b]1992 Chevy T-10 Reg Cab[/b] - 4.3L 5spd, 3" Bl, 31" Mud Tires. Hooker long tube headers and true duals.
[b]1999 Oldsmobile Bravada[/b] - Wifes truck, all stock.[/size]