uh-oh!....... high pitch whine in rear end

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

uh-oh!....... high pitch whine in rear end

Post by mjmcdowell »

Started hearing a high pitched whine this past wk. end, dealer said today that it might be comming from the rear end, goes in wed. am for a check out... glad I have an extended comprehensive coverage on it as this does not sound good. What say you fourmites? any guess as to what it might be? 44 thou. on the od. I will post when I get some answers from the dealer...fingers are crossed, stay safe, mjmcdowell
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Have you ever had the differential fluid changed? Ever done any deep water crossings?
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Diff. whine

Post by mjmcdowell »

Well.. at the end of july I was in some pretty deep mud holes, not that much mud however mostly water, my son said some were up to the bottom of the doors and we were not in them for long, applying power enough to keep going without throwing water all over. I don't think it was over the vent end for as near as I can tell mine goes up to just below the bed floor. I had an oil change shortly after and all fluids were checked and all was ok. Sooo we will find out tomorrow, let you all know. stay safe, mjmcdowell
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yeah, I can't think of anything else that would make a whining noise in the back. 'cept maybe brakes?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
mjmcdowell
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by mjmcdowell »

And this is a bad thing I know...how bad, big jingles or what?
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Here's a bearing kit for $90 on ebay. Looks like an awful lot of parts. I'm guessing easily a few hours labor.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Maybe take off the wheels and make sure there's no rocks or anything caught between the dust shield thing and the brake disc. Other than wheel bearings, or maybe a bad u-joint, that's all I can think of. Put the back end up on jack stands and safely crawl underneath with it in gear and see if you can isolate the noise.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
snocat1
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by snocat1 »

:alert: Crawling under the truck with it in gear :alert: :yikes: :nono:. Put jack stands under the truck, It sounds like a u joint
[size=75]2001 crew cab with a quick hatch tonneau cover
235/75/15 bridgestone dueler at revos[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

snocat1 wrote::alert: Crawling under the truck with it in gear :alert: :yikes: :nono:. Put jack stands under the truck, It sounds like a u joint
OK...maybe that was worded wrong. Have the rear on jack stands, block the front wheels, then look around the rear.
[size=75]Mark
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

AZS10Crew wrote:
snocat1 wrote::alert: Crawling under the truck with it in gear :alert: :yikes: :nono:. Put jack stands under the truck, It sounds like a u joint
OK...maybe that was worded wrong. Have the rear on jack stands, block the front wheels, then look around the rear.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...