Rear Axle fluid for G80 rear

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Patrick

Rear Axle fluid for G80 rear

Post by Patrick »

I am going to be changing my rear axle fluid soon. and am wondering if I could use Mobil 1 synthetic 75W90. 80W90 is in there now. Will this viscosity be all right?? Manual calls for 80W90.
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

That weight gear oil will work fine. It is what I used and the drive train technician at the Chevy dealer recomended it as well. Do not use the additive.
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

I just had my rear done and they put in the additive(well, I was charged atleast). I'm not sure what type of fluid they put in but I assume it's regular stuff, not Syn. I noticed the fullsize pickups have syn. from the factory now.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

the additive has been debated tons of times. i dont have the g-80 so i dont care :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

Conman,

The regular GM Gear oil is a synthetic. As far as the additive being used I would not be concerned. I was told not to use it and I believe the owners manual says it is not recommended. I was also told that if changing the break-in fluid does not cure any noise issues or harsh engagement of the locker then to use the additive. The most important thing to remember is just to change the original break-in fluid. Just my 2 cents worth.