Anyone replaced their serpentine belt yet?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Anyone replaced their serpentine belt yet?

Post by barch97 »

The folks at the local firestone (where I get my oil changed) have been practically begging me to replace mine the past five or six times I've been in there. So, right off the bat, I've got them beat for about year's worth of life in the belt :lol:

Last time I was in, they gave me a printout price quote for the job. I don't remember exactly but it was around $65 for the belt and $40 for install. Total was just about $110 after tax and disposal etc.

So, over the weekend I herd a ticking sound under the hood and after a closer look, suspect that the belt is finally ready to go. This morning I'm looking online for a belt. (No way I'm paying them $40 for a five minute job that doesn't require the removal of a single bolt.) And much to my shock and amazement, a replacement belt from autozone is only about $20.

So, now I'm wondering if I should spring the extra five bucks and get the fancy "gatorback" belt.

What I'm wondering really though is... what's with the 350% mark up at firestone? I think I'll find another place to get my oil changed from now on :!:
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i know that a few of the "firestone" stores here have been known to "adjust" their prices on parts and labor!!!
i cannot see it taking more than 15 minutes to replace the belt!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I'm guessing they've got a minimum labor charge. Anything less than 1/2 hour gets charged for a 1/2 hour. The mark up on parts is a bit ridiculous though.

I have found the goodyear gatorback belt priced at around $60 at few other places now that I've been looking. I guess they count on people not shopping the price around before buying.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Barch, how many miles you got?
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

if you dont wanna change it buy the belt and have them put it on
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

My belt has been successfully replaced :D

Including the removal of JR's car seat to access and remove the lug wrench, removing the old belt, installing the new belt, replacing the lug wrench and washing hands... 14 minutes.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I'm gonna have to practice getting that lug wrench out and putting it back this weekend. That's the part that really slowed me down. I think I could have the belt replacement down to under ten minutes.
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

do you think "mechanix gloves" would help any in cutting the time down???? :lol:
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Barch97, what belt did you end up using? I have the gatorback on all my vehicles, and they work great. The Goodyear Gatorback belt for our CC's is only $22.69 @ Summit. The Summit part # if anyone is interested is GTR-4060950.

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I had planned to get the gatorback but they had none in stock. With snapping imminent, I settled for the "Kelly Springfield 950K6" for $19.99. For $20, I don't mind replacing it every year or so but, I suspect this one'll last about as long as the original.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

After reading this thread las Friday, I decided to check my belt - 2000 model, just rolle dover 51K on the clock.

Stock belt was cracked pretty badly, so I went to O'rileys for a new one, and a radiator flush kit, radiator cap, new antifreeze, and oil change supplies.

Guy brings me a $49 Gates serpentine belt. Told him he can put it back on the shelf for that - tha tI can get a belt elsewhere for around $20. his comment to that "Good luck finding one around here for that." I drove directly across the street to Autozone - they had the Kelly/springfield for $19.99, and the Gatorback for $24.99.

I should have walked back over to O'Rileys and shown it to him, but I had better things to do with my time. $93 worth of general maintenance in one morning/afternoon.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Right on brotha...

Why tell him? Let him keep overcharging for the same product. He'll be out of business soon enough with that philosophy.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

talk about some serious mark up :!: :!:
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

barch97 wrote:I'm gonna have to practice getting that lug wrench out and putting it back this weekend. That's the part that really slowed me down. I think I could have the belt replacement down to under ten minutes.
Why are you using the lug wrench to change your belt? I'm guessing to pry on the pulley to allow slack in the belt. There is a much easier way. If you look under the tension pulley, there is a square hole there for a 3/8 drive. All you have to do is put a socket wrench with 3/8 drive in that hole and turn counter clockwise. This moves the tensioner in for slack on the belt. It was put there for that specific reason.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

well damn -- I could have used the knowledge about a week ago :-)

Maybe I'll remember it in another 50K when I decide to do it again.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yellow Hammer wrote:...there is a square hole there for a 3/8 drive. All you have to do is put a socket wrench with 3/8 drive in that hole and turn counter clockwise. This moves the tensioner in for slack on the belt. ...
I'll add to that...Avoid mis-positioning the drive belt by one or more grooves.

Confirm for the proper drive belt size and the correct drive belt routing by observing the location of the fix pointer and the index marks on the drive belt tensioner. With a new drive belt installed the fix pointer should align within the indentation on the drive belt tensioner.

With a used drive belt installed the fix pointer should not align past the index mark.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yellow Hammer wrote:
barch97 wrote:I'm gonna have to practice getting that lug wrench out and putting it back this weekend. That's the part that really slowed me down. I think I could have the belt replacement down to under ten minutes.
Why are you using the lug wrench to change your belt? I'm guessing to pry on the pulley to allow slack in the belt. There is a much easier way. If you look under the tension pulley, there is a square hole there for a 3/8 drive. All you have to do is put a socket wrench with 3/8 drive in that hole and turn counter clockwise. This moves the tensioner in for slack on the belt. It was put there for that specific reason.
AH HA... I knew there had to be an easier way :lol:
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

HenryJ wrote:I'll add to that...Avoid mis-positioning the drive belt by one or more grooves.

Confirm for the proper drive belt size and the correct drive belt routing by observing the location of the fix pointer and the index marks on the drive belt tensioner. With a new drive belt installed the fix pointer should align within the indentation on the drive belt tensioner.

With a used drive belt installed the fix pointer should not align past the index mark.
If the belt is misaligned, could this cause squeeling? And also, the fix pointer you speak of, is that a mark on a belt??
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

The pointer is on the belt tensioner itself.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]