trans or torque convertor problem?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

trans or torque convertor problem?

Post by ace »

Today I was driving in to work and went to pass a truck so I sped up to pass and now I have a little lunge in the trans or torque convertor at about 55 or 60mph. I can't repeat the problem everytime but it happened a couple of times after that. Should I take it in now? I'm still under warranty or has anyone had a similar problem?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maybe the TCC is failing and not engaging properly? Maybe the 4th gear solenoid is failing? Definitely take it in, because surging can be caused by several other problems even it seems like the tranny. :?

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

What's strange is everything seems fine now. I think the Torque convertor just does some strange things when you either have a load or accelerate in the upper mph range.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ace wrote:What's strange is everything seems fine now. I think the Torque convertor just does some strange things when you either have a load or accelerate in the upper mph range.
If you have warranty, I would still take it in because what you are describing is not normal. I still think it sounds like the TCC in 4th gear cycling in and out and not holding properly. :idea:

Steve
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

I have something similar happening. The torque convertor locks up at 50 mph. But, sometimes it will lock, then unlock, then lock, then unlock a few times, maybe 3 or 4 times, then locks up. Only noticed it when gettting on the highway. I may just get a switch and lock the convertor manualy. It sucks when you pull onto the highway with moderate acceleration, then the torque convertor locks and bogs the engine down at 50 mph. It sucks, the engine hits that 50 mph and the engine note goes to - BWAHHHHHHHH :lol:

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Mat73GNZ wrote:I may just get a switch and lock the convertor manualy. It sucks when you pull onto the highway with moderate acceleration, then the torque convertor locks and bogs the engine down at 50 mph.
A manual switch would be nice, but alot more difficult to do on a 4L60E vs. a 700R4 because of the computer controlling shifting. I think it can be done, but programming might also be needed. :? It would be a cool feature to have an auto/manual switch for the converter. 8)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:A manual switch would be nice, but alot more difficult to do on a 4L60E vs. a 700R4 because of the computer controlling shifting. I think it can be done, but programming might also be needed. :? It would be a cool feature to have an auto/manual switch for the converter.
It has already been done and wasn't that hard to do - Torque converter control

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:It has already been done and wasn't that hard to do - Torque converter control
Thanks :thumb: That is a very simple setup. :) Did you ever get the Check Engine Light because of this? From reading the posts it seems as though the only downside is the cruise being disabled as well, right? :)

Steve
Mat73GNZ
Crew
Crew

Post by Mat73GNZ »

The Check Engine light only deals with emission systems on our vehicles... or any vehicle for that matter. Am I wrong here?

For the TC switch, I'll have to check it out, but I will want to have a brake switch involved. I don't want to stall out the S-10 at a stop light :lol:

!M!
'02 Crew Cab
'73 Datsun 240Z with Buick Grand National engine swap
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

No check engine light, but I don't use it for long periods like days or weeks. I haven't gone back a traced out a way to do this without disabling the cruise control. Actually I kind of like the fact that I have another method of disabling the cruise too.

The vast majority of codes to set the SES light are emissions related, however there are transmission codes that will set the light as well. I don't know the threshold for the TCC.

Don't worry about this stalling you at the stop light :lol: This actually does the opposite. It does not allow the converter to lock.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:The vast majority of codes to set the SES light are emissions related, however there are transmission codes that will set the light as well. I don't know the threshold for the TCC.
There are actually a few TCC related DTC's that can be triggered.
P0740 is a continuous open or short to ground in the TCC circuit or the TCC solenoid
P0742 is a low torque converter slip when the TCC is commanded off
P1860 is a continuous open or short to ground in the TCC PWM circuit or the TCC PWM sensor
P1870 is excessive TCC slip when the torque converter clutch should be engaged.
The last one P1870, is the one I can see being triggered, but maybe not. :idea: It is nice to be able to turn off the TCC function, but the aftermarket kits for the 700R4's allow you to turn off the TCC or manual engage it when you want it, or set the speed at which you want the TCC to engage. This is originally what I was talking about and why I thought it would be difficult to do on the 4L60E. The cruise being off when the TCC is off wouldn't bother me since cruise works better with the lockup feature anyway, plus I like the simplicity of current TCC mod. Thanks again HJ for pointing out this mod to me. :)

Steve
Jim

Post by Jim »

killian96ss wrote:
HenryJ wrote:The vast majority of codes to set the SES light are emissions related, however there are transmission codes that will set the light as well. I don't know the threshold for the TCC.
There are actually a few TCC related DTC's that can be triggered.
P0740 is a continuous open or short to ground in the TCC circuit or the TCC solenoid
P0742 is a low torque converter slip when the TCC is commanded off
P1860 is a continuous open or short to ground in the TCC PWM circuit or the TCC PWM sensor
P1870 is excessive TCC slip when the torque converter clutch should be engaged.
The last one P1870, is the one I can see being triggered, but maybe not. :idea: It is nice to be able to turn off the TCC function, but the aftermarket kits for the 700R4's allow you to turn off the TCC or manual engage it when you want it, or set the speed at which you want the TCC to engage. This is originally what I was talking about and why I thought it would be difficult to do on the 4L60E. The cruise being off when the TCC is off wouldn't bother me since cruise works better with the lockup feature anyway, plus I like the simplicity of current TCC mod. Thanks again HJ for pointing out this mod to me. :)

Steve
The last bit of research I did on this indicated the codes would set but not cause the light to come on.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

For the transmission DTC's P0740 , P0741, P0742, P0751, P0752, P0753, P0756, P0758, P1810, P1860, P1870, P1875 the PCM illuminates the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).

Those are about all the transmission diagnostic trouble codes that I see that will set a light.

About half of the possible codes will not set the light.

I have scanned mine numerous times and have yet to store a code , or set a transmission related DTC.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:I have scanned mine numerous times and have yet to store a code , or set a transmission related DTC.
Well that's good news! :) I guess since you are only disabling the TCC function, the PCM doesn't see any sort of TCC failure to report. The PCM isn't very smart after all! :lol:

Steve