would you take truck to dealer if oil pan seal was leaking

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

would you take truck to dealer if oil pan seal was leaking

Post by 2bunik »

I saw fluid on the side of my oil pan .. Now we all know this shouldn't be there.. but it isn't leaking alot..I mean it isn't dripping, but obviously the seal has failed in one area.. would you take to the dealer before warranty runs out.. I really would feel like a panssy taking it in for such a minor thing.. but then again it does have 20,000 miles and shouldn't be leaking already... what do u guys thinkk.. Please respond wiht whether i SHOULD OR SHOULDN'T
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

If you had the same amount of oil leaking from the oil lines would you take it to the dealer for warranty service?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I would. You have a warranty for a reason: so you don't have to deal with the vehicle's problems. If you have any other pet-peeves, mention them too.

While my truck was under warranty I showed up with a list of complaints... Everything down to light-bulbs being burnt out. If I don't have to pay for it and it isn't a hassle for me to get it fixed the dealer can take care of it. :)

-Eric H
[size=75][b]2001 Chevy S-10 LS Ext Cab 4x4[/b] -2" BL; US Wheel Stars; 30x9.5 Dunlop Mud Rovers; home made topper; RF 800a2; Two RF He2 12"
[b][url=http://photos.yahoo.com/negativez0]1995 White Camaro Convertible 3.4 A4[/url] -[i]TRADED IN![/i][/b] -RK-Sport Big Block Hood & Sport Wing; Black & Blue Pearl Racing Stripes; 17x9½" König Monsoons; Flowmaster w/ Quad 2½" Tips [/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

definately.........take it back and let the dealer look at it!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Yup... Time for a dealer visit...
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've already had this done once at the dealer. Mine was leaking oil from the front of the oil pan. Leaks suck, and I don't think it's too petty to have them fixed under warranty. Even if it only leaks a little, they will be fixing it since I paid the extra $ for the 100k warranty. I will make sure my warranty is used to it's fullest extent. :lol:

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I would take it in I dont think there gonna pay someone to get the oil stain off my driveway
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

Everyone mentioned very good points and looked at it from very differant angles.. I am glad I posted and it will be sent to the dealer as soon as i get the chance.. :D
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I've heard replacing the oil pan on the 4.3 isn't easy. BTW, I'm the type of person that uses the warranty for EVERYTHING. That's what it's there for. Why do it yourself or pay money for something the warranty would cover for free!
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I took mine in for headlamp bulb replacement under warranty
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

barch97 wrote:I took mine in for headlamp bulb replacement under warranty
:lol: This is a good example of using your warranty to its fullest extent. :lol:

Steve
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

killian96ss wrote:
barch97 wrote:I took mine in for headlamp bulb replacement under warranty
:lol: This is a good example of using your warranty to its fullest extent. :lol:

Steve
I sincerely hope that you understand why I have remained silent on this issue :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Socaldave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Socaldave »

When I had my Crew Cab (don't miss all the repairs at the dealer :x ) I too had a minor oil leak. First replaced the drain plug, still leaked. They replaced the pan gasket and it still leaked. Turned out to be "porosity" in the cast aluminum oil pan. They ended up replacing the pan its self and the leak was finally gone. And yes, it is a lot of labor to get the pan off....
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

ok so I got back from OMAN and JORDAN and took the truck right to the dealer.. I got a new oils pan gasket installed and a new block heater as well, and they even put a new seal on the drivers side window which still comes up with the window... :evil: I haven' been back under the truck however I will check it again before I leave for another wonderful deployment.... :x here shortly..OH get this.. they said that an oil pan gasket is supposed to leak... :lol: can you beleive that.. then later I found out that a mechanic gets paid less to work on a warranty vehicle than they do a non warranty issue.. I guess thats why they tried to blow me off.. the next day , I put the truck on a lift to ensure I wasn't wrong about the severaty of the leak out of the block heater.. It was there and worse than before.. So I went back told them I would be more than happy to show a mechanic where the leaks were at.. I didn't act like a jerk. I told the service guy " I am more than happy to show a mechanic what leaks I'm talking about and why I feel there unsafe. The guy took me up on my offer, so he lifted the trucka nd called a mechanic over.. So I showed him and told him ... He nodded his head and they kept my truck for like four days... and that is how that got fixed
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Wow!!! I thought my dealer was bad. I have always taken my truck where I bought it for service and minor warranty repairs. There are three Chevy dealers within a ten mile radius of my house.I was thinking of switching. I had a similar minor problem one time with a vacuum hose that was leaking. I was out of town and had my wife drop it off and they told her nothing was wrong with it, they said it was supposed to be that way, but when I took it in it was fixed within a couple of hours. It really pissed her off, that's why she hates taking my truck to the dealer. I just had a problem today, my drivers side window decided it doesn't want to go down, so it's going in next Saturday. I still have 3000 miles on my warranty.

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

you paid for it! let them fix it. i had a 1997 reg cab 2x4 base that after one year the plastic/rubber flooring cracked and i had them replace it. even though i worked out of it and was in and out al day in all kinds of weather.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
tberg

Post by tberg »

I took my '03 into the dealer for some warranty work (nothing to do with the motor), and the replaced my front seal, said it was for a recall, so call and see if it covers yours
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

tberg wrote:I took my '03 into the dealer for some warranty work (nothing to do with the motor), and the replaced my front seal, said it was for a recall, so call and see if it covers yours
Mine was replaced under the factory @ 24k miles. :roll:

Steve