turn right=grinding *solved*

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

turn right=grinding *solved*

Post by bwenny247 »

if anyone can shed some light on this issue i would appreciate it.

recently (yesterday) i was backing out of my driveway turning the steering wheel clockwise and heard a grinding kind of noise. i shut off the radio and heat blower to listen for it again but couldn't get the noise to repeat, so i assumed it was probly just the tire rubbing on some ice jammed in my wheel well.
later that day i was turning right into a parking lot and again the noise was loud and clear. i checked the wells, no snow whatsoever. the noise isn't present when turning left. i can't hear the noise when i take off from a dead-stop and turning right because of my exhaust. but, when i idle around a corner i can hear it.
the truck has 51,000 miles on it (2001) and isn't abused
any suggestions?

thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wheel bearing allowing the brakes to drag when it moves?

How are the brakes?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

it could very well be the wheel bearing. I had replaced mine at 53k just recently. Jack up the front of the truck and see if there is movement up and down and side to side in the tire. The grinding noise you mentioned only occurred when there was more weight on the side..For instance it was the passanger front for me, as I turned left, weight shifted to the right and the grinding noise surfaced. If that is the problem, i would like to get your info. I'm trying to get a bunch of people who have had this problem and try to get a recall on that item. I know it is bit much but it could be worth a try if I can find enough people :roll:
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

upon further review.........the blistering cold 10 below zero and 10 inches of snow froze chunks of ice to the backside of my rim which rubbed against the frame when the wheel was cranked. i'm not talking about something you kick off with your boot either, solid as a rock.....a garage, jack, hammer, chisel and 10 minutes later i was "grinding" free.
thanks for the help and suggestions anyways