Problem with my e-brake release

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

04revx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem with my e-brake release

Post by 04revx »

On really cold mornings when I try to release my e-brake (try to) it won't release. I have to pull and hold the release handle with one hand and with the other hand I have to pull the e-brake pedal up and sometimes it doesn't want to budge :twisted: Is there a spring that needs replacing or does something need lubricating? When its warm it doesn't release like other vehicles, really slowly. Thanks for the help.
2000 4-Door Blazer 4X4-Stock for now, but have plans.
2004 Ski-Doo MXZX 600 H.O.
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I have had the same problem on cold mornings. Mine is not that stubborn though. Just a little foot persuasion on the back of the pedal while holding the release handle.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would check for corrosion or rust at the point where the cable enters the sleeves.
If there is corrosion , clean it up as best you can. Scrubbing with some scotch brite might work? Then lube it up good with a lubrucant that will get down in there. Work it back and forth until things free up.

This may require getting to the end closest to the shoes too. Perhaps even removal of the wheel , caliper, and rotor.

The emergency brake shoes do not have much lining, and can not handle being rubbed for very long, so correct this ASAP.

If you can not get the cables to loosen up and work freely, or if they have been kinked / smashed , replacement may be the only option.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

I took mine off at the pedal and use my motorcycle cable lube and squrted it through the housing till it came out the other end. took care of my sticking e brake
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]