22 MILES TO 1/4 TANK HELP!!!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

22 MILES TO 1/4 TANK HELP!!!

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Ok so I did a search about egr's and didnt find anything so here it goes.

In the past when my engine light has came on it was my egr valve messing up so last time I just took it off and cleaned it with some carb cleaner. the light turned off for a couple of months untill now.

But this time when it came on and I cleaned it and put a new gasket on the light didnt turn off. so I drove to the store and ran an obdII checker and it got a code p442 emissions system small leak (but that was what I got last time when I fixed it by cleaning the egr) so I bit the bullet and went ahead and bought a new egr valve.....didnt fix it.

So what do you guys think
1. I actually do have a leak (in which I have no remote idea of what to look for)
2. bad gas????

and thats all I can think of right now
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

P0442 has nothing to do with your EGR system.

It is the Evap. emissions system.

Check to make sure your gas cap is on tight and doesn't leak.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I was tripping the same code not too long after installing my BL. Turns out my fuel filler extension was leaking around one of the hose clamps. I didn't find it until I was gassing up one day for a trip, and really getting the tank super full, I notced a trickle of gas laeking out whenever the nozzle would shut itself off.

You will get the same code when the gas cap is not tight, as others have stated.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

My tank was tight, but now that i think of it that is probably the problem because I have the body lift too, it might have slipped out or something

Well..... it said evap emissions system but that was the same code i tripped last time so i assumed it would be the same problem.

Im ganna go check now, thanks for the help
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

HOLY SH*T DO I HAVE THE BEST LUCK IN THE WORLD

so i go under my car and tighten the hoses up then i get out and walk to the front of my car to make sure the engine bay is clear before i start it then i see smoke coming out from under the abs control module and a little bit of flames. so i beat the flame out with a rag then i took out my inner fenderwell extension so i could look at what went wrong, i couldnt see any burn marks or something like that. so i have my dad stand there to make sure my car didnt go up in flames then when i start my car not only do i still have the check engine light on but my service 4wd light comes on. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: im soo pissed right now b/c i planned an offroading trip with like 10 people this weekend and i have to get this sh*t fixed. grrrrrrr.

ok i vented, i feel better now
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

coffeedrnkr wrote:... i took out my inner fenderwell extension so i could look at what went wrong, ...
Forgot about those. Any chance you punched a hole on the vacuum reservoir?

looking for the evap. emissions vacuum leak is going to be tedious if there is nothing obvious.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

figured it out, and i did fix the evap problem b/c the light went out after i had to unplug the battery before my car burned down.

the main harness was rubbing against the abs motor bracket and rubbed a hole in the orange wire (that i am assuming went to my 4wd system since the light went out after we taped it up)

but now i have another problem, the service 4wd light is off now but the lights that tell you what you are in (4wd,2wd,4lo,auto) do not light up at all and i cannot hear it shift if i hit the different buttons. and the fuse is NOT blown, i checked every fuse in both of the boxes.

any suggestions as to what it is this time?
[/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

buy an extended warranty the next time you buy a new vehicle - that way you can take it to the dealer to get it fixed :lol:
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

ummm I bought it used, and I dont think they would have honored my warranty anyways. (im pretty sure I would have voided it a long time ago, if i had one)
[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

holy cow what a day...
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Can somebody explain to me what i should be looking for as far as what is wrong with my 4wd

the fuse is not blown
the lights that tell me what gear the xfer case is in do not light up and i cannot hear the transfercase shift or attempt to shift.
is there a special 4wd computer??
[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

if it was me I would start shooting wires from the switch. I havent really got in deep on how our 4 wheel drive acctuates but I do know that we have a front axle disconnect that is vacum actuated and the transfer case has to engage also. Is it vacum or electrical? Is it possible that a wire could have burnt through or shorted with out blowing a fuse? If I had a manuel I could look at I would be alot more help. Maybe HenryJ will have some Ideas.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

malkavian wrote:... Maybe HenryJ will have some Ideas.
I don't have any specific ideas.

Could the switch be toast?

I would think that the PCM would be more likely than the BCM to influence the transfer case control.

The encoder motor that shifts the transfercase is electrical and there is a vacuum control switch on it for the front differential engagement.

I would first suspect the switch, then maybe the encoder?

Seems like Paul had a method for trouble shooting the encoder motor.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I FIGURED IT OUT!!

actually I lied, i went to zr2.com and found that somebody else had a problem like mine and said there was a fuse in the engine bay box that says atc, and that one was blown. I was soooooo happy I was jumping around and my mom was like oh, thats cool i guess.
[/size]
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

don't have any specific ideas.

Could the switch be toast?

I would think that the PCM would be more likely than the BCM to influence the transfer case control.

The encoder motor that shifts the transfercase is electrical and there is a vacuum control switch on it for the front differential engagement.

I would first suspect the switch, then maybe the encoder?

Seems like Paul had a method for trouble shooting the encoder motor
yeah what he said :lol:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

coffeedrnkr wrote:... the fuse is NOT blown, i checked every fuse in both of the boxes...
coffeedrnkr wrote:I FIGURED IT OUT!!

actually I lied, i went to zr2.com and found that somebody else had a problem like mine and said there was a fuse in the engine bay box that says atc, and that one was blown.
Lied twice :!: :nono:

Really need to check the simple stuff first.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Im sorry :( , dont beat me up :shock:

ya it was my fault, I didn't check the main fuse box very well b/c I thought there was only one 4wd fuse, the one that was on the side of the dash.
[/size]