loud clunkin noise

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

loud clunkin noise

Post by 2bunik »

alright this truck makes a lound clunking noise when I back up on an incline.. I put it on a lift and checked it out.. I beat everything in the rear end with a hammer and no dice... nothing is loose.. I removed the spare and the problem persist.. it sounds like a loud knock. not a hollow knock either.. kinda like the same sound the bed would make if the bed was loose.. like if something is shifting.. only thing I can think of is maybe I need to lube something... heck I almost gave up today and took it to the dealer.. it also make the same noise when I drive forward up on my driveway.. I can think of one good solution.. but I wanted people opinions on this first.. I was thinkin of gettin a can of WD40 and spraying down stuff that moves in the bed area of the truck till the sound diminished then I could isolate the problem somewhat.. I had the wife drive it while I looked under the truck.. but because of the speed required to make the noise happen. safety became an issue.. second option was tie myself under the truck... ( yeah sounds retarded but Im out of options here guys.. help me out) oooh another would be remove the bed... but I have done that once already and dont look forward to that..
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Grab a can of aerosol graphite dry lube.

Spray it on that spot where your tail pipe exhaust tip comes closest to the shackle bolt. (on the tip)

Then crawl under and check the rear torsion bar mounts to see if they are hitting the frame. The way they hang they could be moving side to side bumping the frame. Spray some of that drylube on the shiny spots where it has bumped the frame.

Now drive it , recreate the sound, then check to see if the drylube has been disturbed.

I am betting you are hearing the sound of the tail pipe hitting that shackle bolt transfered through the chassis.

Try slipping a rubber cap over the end of the bolt. Drive again and see if it is better.

You can either cut off the excess bolt, or relocate the tip to solve the problem. If I guessed right. ;)

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

IM PICKIN UP A CAN TONGIHT ..I'll get it done and let you know what I find
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

this might sound a little stupid but i know that sometimes when i take off to fast the tire iron behind the rear seat slides around and hits the the inside of the truck, i just out a rubberband on to hold it to the jack and havent any problems since, its not entirely related to your problem, but i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

that was my first problem too.. I just got rid of the whole jack. :P I havent gotton around to spraying don the truck yet
duglasfur
Regular
Regular

Post by duglasfur »

It sounds like the torsion bar crossmember hitting the frame. The articulating heads of the torsion bar (look like nautilus shells) are really tight in the cross member. If you squirt white lithium grease all up around in there (hard to get it in the tight space) then drive it and it'll go away for a while. At first I had chevy try replacing everything and they charged me ~$300 and never did any good. But, it could be that the torsion bar crossmember mount bushings died, if the grease doesn't work.
[size=75]2001 Onyx Black Crew Cab[/size]
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: loud clunkin noise

Post by Ken »

2bunik wrote:alright this truck makes a lound clunking noise when I back up on an incline.. I put it on a lift and checked it out.. I beat everything in the rear end with a hammer and no dice... nothing is loose.. I removed the spare and the problem persist.. it sounds like a loud knock. not a hollow knock either.. kinda like the same sound the bed would make if the bed was loose.. like if something is shifting.. only thing I can think of is maybe I need to lube something... heck I almost gave up today and took it to the dealer.. it also make the same noise when I drive forward up on my driveway.. I can think of one good solution.. but I wanted people opinions on this first.. I was thinkin of gettin a can of WD40 and spraying down stuff that moves in the bed area of the truck till the sound diminished then I could isolate the problem somewhat.. I had the wife drive it while I looked under the truck.. but because of the speed required to make the noise happen. safety became an issue.. second option was tie myself under the truck... ( yeah sounds retarded but Im out of options here guys.. help me out) oooh another would be remove the bed... but I have done that once already and dont look forward to that..

I have the same problem, very loud noise, mostly on low speed, tight turns, reverse or forward, (parking lot maneuvers Etc.) There is a GM tech note about this issue http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images ... ml#story23 (click the link that reads "Clunk Noise Felt Through Floor Pan") I took my CC to the dealer and they performed this repair. (shimmed the torsion bar crossmember) but it did not help mine. I might have help a little but its worse than ever now. I only have 10,000 miles on my truck and it started this only a few weeks of owning it. I have been ignoring it hoping it that it will get consistent enough to take back to the dealer. I hate taking it in only to be told "NPF" No Problem Found. It only took me 3 visits,2 different dealers and me finding this Tech note before the first repair was made to it.

I also have another rattle noise when driving. I would describe it as a noise typical of a loos shock mount Etc. But I know that 's not it, I did find some other posts talking about rattling hood hinges, those post really come close to sound like what I have going on.
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:shock: WOO WOO >> thanks guys .. Ill get to looking at it some day.. since the wife drives it to work everyday I kinda put it past me.. but I need to get it corrected
the problems you guys brought up sounds exactly what is happening to me ..
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

ok this is what I done did. I stuffed cardboard between the cross member busings mentioned above and the frame.. now the loud clunking noise has gone away.. I still hear a horrable creeking sound when I get on the driveway.. kinda like the frame is twisting causeing the bed to shift.. so tommorrow I will try to get to removing the bed off the frame.. then try it again.. I think I might give the bolts a crank down first then check it.. and if worst comes to worst I will remove the bed.. I sprayed lubricant on the leaf spring bolst and the shackles to ensure it wasn't that and it still made the noise... I have no idea what is could be... logicaly I think the bed bolts could need a crank down since it only started making these noises about four months after the BL.. hhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm.. :?:
duglasfur
Regular
Regular

Post by duglasfur »

It IS the Crossmember hitting the frame guys. On turning enough to make the truck sway on its suspension, the torsion bars are supposed to "twist back" against this force with the "pork chops" sliding in a circle inside the crossmember. Well, they are pressed so tight in there that they bind up until the force increases and the "pop" all of a sudden and this abruptly pushes the torsion bar crossmember into the frame instead of letting it gradually swing side to side. Lithium grease works for a while. If you owned the truck for >60K, it might be worn out X-member bushings, but not in a new one.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I just wrapped some old heat hose around the drop hangers and tiewrapped it, been working great for a couple years now.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:alert: WARNING :alert:
My bed bolts were loose causing the bed to make a loud noise when going up an incline at an anlge... please check your bolts if the bed area is making any type of noise... Dont try to jerk the bed around.. I did and it didnt shift.. Get under there witha ratchet and socket and actually tighten them.. I wouldnt be surprised if there are more of your guys who has loose bolts... I know I tightened them the first time I installed them ... the just backed out..
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Using threadlock may help :idea:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: loud clunkin noise

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:
2bunik wrote:alright this truck makes a lound clunking noise when I back up on an incline.. I put it on a lift and checked it out.. I beat everything in the rear end with a hammer and no dice... nothing is loose.. I removed the spare and the problem persist.. it sounds like a loud knock. not a hollow knock either.. kinda like the same sound the bed would make if the bed was loose.. like if something is shifting.. only thing I can think of is maybe I need to lube something... heck I almost gave up today and took it to the dealer.. it also make the same noise when I drive forward up on my driveway.. I can think of one good solution.. but I wanted people opinions on this first.. I was thinkin of gettin a can of WD40 and spraying down stuff that moves in the bed area of the truck till the sound diminished then I could isolate the problem somewhat.. I had the wife drive it while I looked under the truck.. but because of the speed required to make the noise happen. safety became an issue.. second option was tie myself under the truck... ( yeah sounds retarded but Im out of options here guys.. help me out) oooh another would be remove the bed... but I have done that once already and dont look forward to that..

I have the same problem, very loud noise, mostly on low speed, tight turns, reverse or forward, (parking lot maneuvers Etc.) There is a GM tech note about this issue http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images ... ml#story23 (click the link that reads "Clunk Noise Felt Through Floor Pan") I took my CC to the dealer and they performed this repair. (shimmed the torsion bar cross member) but it did not help mine. I might have help a little but its worse than ever now. I only have 10,000 miles on my truck and it started this only a few weeks of owning it. I have been ignoring it hoping it that it will get consistent enough to take back to the dealer. I hate taking it in only to be told "NPF" No Problem Found. It only took me 3 visits,2 different dealers and me finding this Tech note before the first repair was made to it.

I also have another rattle noise when driving. I would describe it as a noise typical of a loos shock mount Etc. But I know that 's not it, I did find some other posts talking about rattling hood hinges, those post really come close to sound like what I have going on.

I took it in to a Chevrolet Dealer (I used to work with a tech there) he check all the GM bullitens etc. He found the one I posted (above), he also called GM Techline. They told him that the bulliten was incoorect. It states to shim both sides of the torsion bar crossmember, but per Techline you should only shim one side of the crossmember (the side that the noise is coming from). The tech did that to mine and I have been noise free for over a week now.

I'm going to give it a couple more weeks to make sure and then I will feel comfortable with proceeding with the Boise springs and T-bar Crank.
[size=75]2003 GMC ZR5, Rancho RSX shocks, Boise Rear Springs; and 1.25" TB crank.[/size]
duglasfur
Regular
Regular

Post by duglasfur »

Another week gone. Has the noise come back. They never got rid of my noise, but did shim BOTH sides to the max.
Ken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Ken »

duglasfur wrote:Another week gone. Has the noise come back. They never got rid of my noise, but did shim BOTH sides to the max.

I'm noise free. Sounds like what you need to do is remove the shims from one side. Do you remember or could you even tell which side the noise was coming from? That is the side that needs shimmed, you should be able to look at the frame and see where it was/is hitting (mine you could see). If all else fails just remove one side and see if it goes away, if not just swap the shims to the other side. The side that was hitting on mine was the left side.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

I did use thread lock.. alot of it too.. I don't know why they backed out ?