S-10 shakes @ 55 MPH ???????

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

S-10 shakes @ 55 MPH ???????

Post by robbtodd »

My 2002 S-10 Crew Cab (22,000 miles on truck) shakes around 55 MPH. Almost like the wheels are out of balance. My Father who purchased a S-10 x-Cab stepside on the same day that I bought mine does the same thing at the same speed!
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Is this a new problem or has it done this since new?

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Sounds like the tires to me. check for uneven tread wear. particularly in the front. if the insides are worn smooth and the outsides are still new looking or vice versa, you've got an alignment problem (very common with independent front suspension). there have been several complaints of crewcabs coming from factory misaligned. so, this is a fairly common problem.

with only 22k, realignment should be covered by dealer. unless of course it's obvious that you've been operating the truck under conditions that would cause such wear and misalignment prematurely.

which brings me to the next thing to check. have you been driving in mud? check the inside of the wheels. excessive dried up caked on mud adds unbalanced weight to the wheel and will certainly cause vibration at highway speeds. simple fix... clean out the mud.

if neither of these visually obvious clues are present, get the tires checked for proper balance.

the severity of the vibration will be a good indicator of which of these three is the most likely but, based on your description, it's difficult to say.
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

My Dad said that his has been doing it from Day ONE! I think that mine has too but I normaly drive over 55 unlike my Dad. I really did not pay attention to it until he asked me if I had the same problem. I have not been in the mud. I currently waiting for the new 6" Super Lift to come out!
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Well if it's been doing it from day one, I think I would be at the dealer demanding it be fixed.

I was told that factory warranty covers alignment for only 7K miles.

Does it only vibrate at or around 55 MPH? Is there any sound associated with it?

Other than bad tire wear or balance which Barch already covered, how about drive shaft out of balance, hub bearing assembly, or a bent axle.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
robbtodd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by robbtodd »

I brother-in law owns a body shop and they can rotate tires I'll check them out with him first. Thanks for the ideas!!
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

have them check the driveshaft too...thats if the tires aren't the solution
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

I had that problem when I first bought my truck ( when it was still stock ) and my buddy is the service manager at a tire kingdom here and he checked my tires and the belts were seperating, so I took the truck back to the dealer and they fixed it, ( new tires ) plus there was a bubble on the sidewall - tale tale sign.
[size=75]GO BIG or Go Home
SFA - Dana 44 - front & rear - 4.88 gears - 39.5x15x20's[/size]
Pat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Pat »

My crew was doing the same thing it was out of alignment and the tires had a dynamic inbalance only did it at above 50 MPH had it aligned and the tires ballanced and it stopped.