Maybe I'm Just Paranoid - Steering Bind

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Maybe I'm Just Paranoid - Steering Bind

Post by marks10cc »

I've always been a low and fast guy, so this is my first 4x4. After the wife started spitting out babies like a factory, I wanted to make sure I could get anywhere regardless of how much pretty snow fell from the heavens. I read something about steering bind with 4x4's, so I've always put it into 2wd before turning into the driveway (I live on a street wide enough for one car, so is my driveway, it's a tight turn). I was coming down my street, hit the 2wd, watched the light switch up, felt the transfer case switch under my feet and then turned into the driveway. I wasn't at lock, but the truck acted like it was. The steering wheel fought back and the truck started to 'stall'. I also got that steering noise... it was as if I had turned the steering wheel all the way to lock and held it there, same symptoms, but I was a good 1/2 turn away from lock. I stopped immediately, returned the wheel to center, and did a 3-4 point turn into the driveway so not to turn the wheel too much. Anyway, since then my steering seems sluggish, it doesn't seek center with the same force that it used to. Now I also hear a rubber squeek when the truck is cold (seems to be coming from the column, not the engine, is the steering boot rubbing?).

I just got my truck back from the dealer Thursday. Over the last 3 weeks, it's been in my driveway for 4 nights. I really don't want to take it back if I'm just being paranoid. So I thought I'd ask how to test if I have a problem or not.

1. How do you check for steering bind, what are the symptoms?
2. How do you check if your front hubs are locked, even though the transfer case is disengaged and the indicator light is in 2wd? I'm wondering if my hubs are locked causing the steering problems... I don't have means to jack the truck up as my driveway is an incline and covered in snow.

Now every little click and clunk has me in a panic... not a good feeling
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Maybe I'm Just Paranoid - Steering Bind

Post by NTXCrew »

marks10cc wrote:After the wife started spitting out babies like a factory...
Don't know much about steering lock up, but I have a hunch on the above issue..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim