4x4 problems

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

jayall23
Regular
Regular

4x4 problems

Post by jayall23 »

My truck will not shift into 4hi. 2hi works great, 4lo works great however 4 hi will not engage. fluids look fine, fuses fine, button flashes like it wants to engage but always goes back to 2hi. Could it be the button, or worse ?
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

This may be a stupid question (see my sig :wink: ) but are you traveling down the road when you press the button or are you stopped? I think sometimes 4HI may not engage when the truck isn't moving. :?: Just a guess. :?:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

If you are doing everything correctly to shift, then there is a diagnostic to perform to see where it's at. Mine did the same thing, and it is the tcase control module is what the code said. But most times it is the encoder motor. And you can reset the module to see if that fixes it, but usually it's a short term fix. I've already replaced the encoder module not believing the code, but it still gave me problems. Now I have a new TCM also. So, believe the code. I can give you a run down, or you can look here. It's basically the same. And I put my pin #'s which seemed a bit different than the 1st gen: http://pub154.ezboard.com/fs10extremist ... =437.topic

I got the same SN there.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
jayall23
Regular
Regular

Post by jayall23 »

I have tried to shift when I am moving, stopped, put it in neutral and nothing. I had been under the impression that I should be moving when I try to shift into 4hi, but I have tried everything and so far no luck. I will try the codes tonight
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

i know its silly but if its under warranty take it back
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

smokinjoe wrote:i know its silly but if its under warranty take it back
That isn't SILLY in my book... :?
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
jayall23
Regular
Regular

Post by jayall23 »

Actually my truck is under warranty however due do a lack of chevy dealerships in my area (dealerships that will fix problems) I usually try to fix the problem if I can first. If not then take it 80 miles away to get fixed !
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, that's definitely a problem I'd take back for warrenty work.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Remember -- any GM dealer can fix that problem -- I would start at a GMC dealer if you have one closer, but anything GM should be able to handle the work.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
smokinjoe
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by smokinjoe »

oh yeah if its under warranty take it in,if they mess up call gm.let them know that you have a bunch of worthless mechanics at the dealerships closest to you
"Aim towards the Enemy." -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher
TheBigFitz
Crew
Crew

Post by TheBigFitz »

That happened to mine but when it went out I was stuck in 4HI. I finally got it back into 2HI by letting it coast in neutral and hitting the button. After that, it would not go back into 4HI at all. Turned out to be a bad encoder motor. Had it fixed under warranty.
[size=75]SOLD - 2" BL, BFGR 31x10.50 on American Racing Outlaw II Rims (15x7, 6" BS), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 1" Torsion Bar Adjustment, Rear add-a-leaf, Westin nerf bars & tail light guards, Genuine Steel grill guard, Tinted Windows, K&N Filter - SOLD

New Ride: 2006 Chevy Silverado SS[/size]