Power Steering Problems!

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Power Steering Problems!

Post by killian96ss »

My 2001 has only 22,000 miles and is on its 2nd. power steering pump, which is also starting to give me problems. The dealership says they won't fix it unless they can duplicate the problem which they haven't after 4 different attempts. The problem I'm having is after I drive the car for about a half hour or so it starts growling and whining and gets hard to turn. It seems to do this mostly on windy steep roads like Hwy. 1 when your climbing and doing a lot of turning. Sometimes it does it just going to the other end of town. The latest I've heard from the dealership is that they're going to replace the gearbox. Has anybody else had this problem? Thanks to anyone who replies, Steve K.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

My wife's Pontiac Grand Am had those same symptoms when the power steering fluid was low (due to the power steering high pressure hose failing). I know it's a different cause, but I was focusing on the low fluild levels.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim