Leaking Shocks

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Leaking Shocks

Post by HenryJ »

Anyone else have the stock shocks leaking?

I've had the rears replaced (warranty) and now I have one front leaking :x

18,000 mi. seems like they would at least make them out last the warranty :shock:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

no leaks. 37k miles. how long to shocks usually last
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Steven
Crew
Crew

No problems with mine

Post by Steven »

I was just under the truck last week, didn't see any leaking shocks yet. 15,000 miles

Good luck
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

No leaking shocks on my Crew but I only have a light 2,100miles :shock: My 01 Trooper on the other hand had one blown front shock at 17k. It was mostly a daily driver with a few light trail riding. It was the front pass. shock so I bet mostly it's from pot holes(big ones in NY), or from hitting the curb(got to get around that rush hour traffic somehow) :twisted: Hopefully the Rancho RS9000 will hold better than the stock ones.

BTW, are your stock shocks a little noisy? I know they are the Z85 "firm ride" shocks but when ever you get in and out of the truck, I can hear the gas in the shocks. Don't think they are bad, just a noisy design.

Cheers,

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BTW, are your stock shocks a little noisy?
Yep, I'm not sure but it may be a symptom of these shocks going bad? My rears were noisy until I had them replaced, and I noticed the front getting noisy a few weeks before I found the LF leaking.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

HenryJ wrote:
BTW, are your stock shocks a little noisy?
Yep, I'm not sure but it may be a symptom of these shocks going bad? My rears were noisy until I had them replaced, and I noticed the front getting noisy a few weeks before I found the LF leaking.

I'll have the dealer take a look at them to make sure they are ok. I hope they are just noisy and not bad. if they are bad, must mean it's a bad design for it to go at 2,100miles(no off-roading either). My trooper with the blown shock did not make a peep(none of them are noisy to begin with and the Ranchos are quiet too). Only reason I knew it was blown was the oil on the shock body. I'm not sure what brand they are but a few think it's KYB(KYB were on my old Trooper and in Japan, there are KYB remote resevoir factory "Option" shocks listed! They get the cool stuff in Japan! Lucky them! You can even get a kitchen sink(no joke!) for the Trooper! scan of japan catalog options here: http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/bighorn/index.html (warning, big pics!) :D

Cheers,

Con
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

look, the factory shocks are worthless. they suck beyond all measure. just get new ones. pro comp 9000's!!! they are 30 bucks a piece at 4wp.
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I thought Hobie was being a bit...overzealous with his opinnion of the stock shock absorbers....but.... :x He's right! the stock shocks are *&#%@ :x

I just checked and my left rear is leaking, AGAIN. I only have 5000 mi. on it since the warranty replacement.

I already have the Bilstein rear shocks , so I decided to change now instead of waiting for the backordered fronts to arrive.

I am not going to bother with taking it back to the dealer for yet another set of the worthless factory shocks. I figure "fool me once...shame on you" ....."fool me twice...shame on ME"l

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

I don't care for the factory shocks. I had my truck in the dealer some time ago and had the right rear replace. Now, I think left rear is going bad. I wrote a post a short time ago. I going to have all of the shocks replaced some time in the near future with another brand. I always thought my shocks were to noisey. If these factory shocks are a bad design wouldn't some body from the dealership or GM know about this, and need to have a recall. Maybe, somebody knows and ain't telling. JH68
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Joseph wrote:I don't care for the factory shocks. I had my truck in the dealer some time ago and had the right rear replace. Now, I think left rear is going bad. I wrote a post a short time ago. I going to have all of the shocks replaced some time in the near future with another brand. I always thought my shocks were to noisey. If these factory shocks are a bad design wouldn't some body from the dealership or GM know about this, and need to have a recall. Maybe, somebody knows and ain't telling. JH68

Yep I agree they are noisy as well. You can hear the gas/oil sounds everytime I get out of the truck. Also, the shocks/springs don't have much pre-load as if I load it a little, it's already dropped in the rear(and my lights are blinding people).

Cheers,

Con
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

Do after market shocks make noise like my factory ones? I really don't want to spend money if I don't have to. If I go back to the dealer they'll just put on those same shocks. I'll gladly spend the money for aftermarket shocks if it will cure the problem. I just don't care for that noise. As for the other noises I'll take a look sometime soon. JH68
StuntLife

Post by StuntLife »

Would this noise sound anything like a loud creaking?

Thats what I get whenever the left rear suspension moves. When i get out of the truck CREEEEAAK!!! Its embarrassing.
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

The shocks make a wooshing noise. The creaking noise is like rubber rubbing up against plastic. It is coming from the left rear. Sometimes I'm afraid to touch stuff on the truck it might void the warranty. JH68[/list]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The loud creak, is probably not a shock. Sounds more like the type of noise a spring pack might make.

I'd check the front and rear eye bolt , shackle and u-bolts make sure everything is tight. Then look for anything rubbing, watch for missing spring isolators (plastic between leaves).

If you think it may be the spring pack and everything is as it should be , I'd spray some dry lube in and around the spring pack any where that could be causing the squeak. It may help to have some one get in and out, while you watch and spray.

Back to the shocks a sec'

I can't remember, were the stock shocks gas charged? I thought when I installed one of the rear shocks (warranty) it had a bit of a gas charge.

Any hoo, if they did they don't now , they compress way too easy too. I'm glad they're off. Even with only the rear Bilsteins on, it is a noticeable difference. Less body roll in the corners, firmer but smoother ride. Overall it just seems to hande better , can't wait to get the fronts on.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Leaking Shocks

Post by quickbiker »

HenryJ wrote:Anyone else have the stock shocks leaking?

I've had the rears replaced (warranty) and now I have one front leaking :x

18,000 mi. seems like they would at least make them out last the warranty :shock:

You're still in warranty, maybe you can talk them into replacing all 4 since that is the only proper way to fix it and maybe they would replace them with better ones. :shock: I am in wonderland now, LOL.

Better yet, just put some good aftermarket ones on. I got Trailmaster's SSV shocks which work very well, IMO.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]