water in the differential?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

water in the differential?

Post by KYLE »

I took my crew across a creek that was a little deeper than I thought, there was water up my door about 10" I made it across only to have to came back across it again. I told a friend and he suggested I change the gear oil in my differentials, he said water can come in the breather holes and mix with the oil :shock: , I was thinking about going synthetic anyway, do you need to change the gear oil every time you submerge the differentials?
[size=75]2003 PEWTER GMC SONOMA CREWCAB, 1.5" SPACERS![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: water in the differential?

Post by HenryJ »

KYLE wrote: do you need to change the gear oil every time you submerge the differentials?
That's a tough one...

Both axle breather tubes are mounted pretty high, but you were in pretty deep. I your case I'd change it.

For mild submergence, I'd just keep a close eye on the condition of the lube and watch for water contamination.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Brule's right...the rear end has a "snorkel" that comes from the differential up and attaches to the bottom of the bed. If you were in deeper than that, then you might have water in it. You can look underneath and see where the tube comes up from the differential to judge for yourself.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IT'S ALL GOOD

Post by KYLE »

:D I opened it up yesterday, and it looked ok. I changed to a synthetic anyway, I heard it'll improve gear life.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I agree, but be very watchful of the front diff as it tends to get water in it a lot easier than the rear, at least with my truck.

I almost have to change my front diff fluid every 3,000km even if I don't go offroad. It must have a permanent source of water in it, because last time I changed it it had not rained since the last change and I had not been off-road through puddles or in a car wash and it was milky. I can't figure it out. I even put a whole bottle of fluid in it after draining, and drain it again to get any residue out before it fill and close up the diff.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
KYLE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by KYLE »

I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THE SYNTHETIC HOLDS UP. IT MIGHT DO BETTER WHEN EXPOSED.
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

I use synthetic, it's the same as the regular.
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]