Rear End Swap?? Axles from???

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Rear End Swap?? Axles from???

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

Ok so I have the outer wheel bearings wearing a groove into my rear axles. The guy at the shop said since it has a disc brake rear end good luck finding axles?? Is this true? Does anyone know about offset bearings??? Or will axle shafts from a drum brake S10 work or are they a different size. length???? Also I havent been able to find any other type of differential to replace the Gov-loc will something out of a camaro 10 bolt work?? Or out of a Older S10??? Any help would be great also a vendor that may sell this stuff>>>>>????
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

The drum brake axles will not work. I found a shaft at a salvage yard. It came out of a blazer...gov locs were also put in blazers. I too had to replace the shaft because the bearing "wears" a groove in the shaft. I believe there are bearings available that are designed so that the shaft doesn't contact the bearings themselves. Don't quote me on that though but it is worth looking into.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I've never used the offset bearings. That groove in the axle worries me too much. Replacements are just not that much.

Your local recycler / salvage yard has an interchange that will tell them all the models that will work.
If your axles are bad They sell new axle kits that are fairly reasonable. New is not a bad choice. I'd check your local parts stores. Rockauto sells the kits for about $200 each.

Once you invest in the price of two axle kits it almost doesn't make financial sense to add the cost of a new differential. At that point I would consider replacing the whole axle with a used axle assembly. I pick them up around here for $500-$750. Rough ones needing some help for less.

I think you first stop should be your local auto recycler. You might check here too: http://car-part.com/
That might narrow it down for you. I see a couple low mileage axles within 300 miles of you. One in Portland, OR for $450 Even with freight that might not be bad?
You will need to know what ratio you have , that can be found on the RPO code list. I am guessing GT4 since you mention the G80 differential.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
roadrunner
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by roadrunner »

Check E-Bay as well. S10warehouse would be a good seller to contact if they don't have anything listed currently on their ads there.
2001 CC LS, pewter, stock, 4.3,Wait4meperformance, CFM throttle blade, Helix throttle body spacer, 4spd auto, 3button electric 4x4 shift, heavy duty factory suspension, Bilsteins, 1" rear wheel spacers, skid plates.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I put the offset bearings in my wifes S10. She hasn't had it on the road enough yet to see how they are gonna last.

I have a ZR2 axle to go in it, I just didn't have time to mess with it. I was thinking at the time I would need a shorter driveshaft for the ZR2 axle but some here say the original will still work.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

I have found a rear end that is disc brake out of a 2000 blazer will that work????? I found it cheap $300.00 Please someone let me know so that I can grab it up.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

2wd or 4x4, ZR2 or not?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

It didnt say....

Does anyone have a set of axle shafts????? OR know where I can buy two used??? I got a quote of $125.00
Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

Hey what about the rear end same year from a ZR2???? are they the same?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Any year ZR2 Blazer or PU will be an upgrade in beef! '98 and later should have disc brakes and that is what you want. You also need to know what your gearing is and make sure it is 3.73.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

I thought the ZR2 blazer rear end was narrower than the truck???? Im kind of stuck since I have to be at work on sunday morning and need to fix this before I drive it 250 miles.

Are the offset bearings a bad way to go???
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I am pretty sure that there is no difference but, I posted the question in another forum. You can check for answers here on ZR2USA.COM
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

The rear axle on my wifes 03 blazer 4wd is 59 1/8" wide face to face of wheel mounting surface. I am 98% sure the S10 Crew is the same. I am reasonably sure the 2wd is narrower. I could be wrong.

The S10 ZR2 axle under the carport waiting to be installed is 63 1/8" wide.

Thought it might help you identify what they are selling.

The blazer rear end you mentioned in your second post may be 3.42 gears instead of 3.73 , Mine is.

When I was in your shoes and had to get the truck on the road, I put the offset bearings in it.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed
Crew Cab Andy
Regular
Regular

Post by Crew Cab Andy »

How long did that bearing last???? Is it still in???

Is there a part number???
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Crew Cab Andy wrote:How long did that bearing last???? Is it still in???

Is there a part number???
It's been in there about three months but the truck is not being driven much until i get around to replacing the steering gear. I'm not home right now so I don't have a part number but Autozone or O'Reillys will have it. They call it a "Repair Bearing". I think it was a Timken and about $25 but that's from the memory of an old brain.

James
2006 K2500 5 speed