Towing things need advice

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Towing things need advice

Post by BikerBoomer »

I know you guys sometimes install transmission coolers to keep temps down.

This weekend i am going to be towing a car for about 2 hrs on the freeway, its kinda cold out, so im wondering if i will be ok temp wise.

Im going to be stopping ever 20 min and wait like 5 min, and then take off.

The car weighs about 3,000 lbs.

Long term in going to be getting a cooler, but right now it looks like if i order it, it wont be here in time. Im picking the car up and towing it to a freinds house this saturday.

Do you think im gonna be ok?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Follow recommendations for towing in 3 not OD. Watch the engine temperature and you will be just fine as long as the load towed does not exceed the max rating.

2 hours is a walk in the park. You will be fine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BikerBoomer »

Thanks henry, ill do that. Just curius for the reason why to keep it in 3? Trans not as strong in od?

The load doesn't exceed my trailer hitch, i think, ill have to double check what class my hitch is, it came with the truck.

Thanks for the fast reply btw. Im really starting to like this site. Your all helpful and dont blast people for asking questions... like my old car forums did... stupid NASIOC, but thats another story.

Again thanks, and ill post some pics of how well it does towing, my friend just bought a bmw for $350 so he is pumped.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The pressure in OD is not adequate to prevent slippage. Modifications can be made to improve this, but the owners manual recommends towing in 3 (third) to minimize heat build up and extend transmission life.

If you do not have an owners manual an electronic version may still be available. Check that thread. If not Helm publishing Inc (Helminc.com) has the paper version available.

Check the stock specs on our stock information page. Max trailer weight is 5200 lb. of course don't exceed the hitch rating, but I would think you are fine. Keep in mind the truck weighs about 4400 lbs loaded. Don't let the load push you around. Be cautious. If you tow lots add a brake controller and trailer brakes. Getting moving is one thing, but being able to stop is more important.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BikerBoomer »

HenryJ wrote:Don't let the load push you around. Be cautious. If you tow lots add a brake controller and trailer brakes. Getting moving is one thing, but being able to stop is more important.
I have towed many things before, boats, seadoos, trailers with motorcycles, all with different cars though, never with this truck. I know first hand the dangers of not being able to stop quick enough with a trailer. I had a kid run out in front of me while hauling a boat, chasing a ball, luckily as i stopped he got out of the way in time, i destroyed is ball though. But im glad i didn't hit him. I would have if he didn't get out of the road quick enough. That experience had made me quite a cautious driver, also riding my motorcycle has thought me to be very aware of my surroundings.

This is the only towing i plan on doing until summer, when i start hauling my bike and boats around. When that time comes, i will be installing a trans cooler.

This towing will be 99% highway and only a little around town, but in the summer it will be about 50/50 so i figure ill need the extra cooling.

Thanks for the info and the help.
green02crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by green02crew »

I have towed in the winter and the temps were kept lower especially at highway speeds in 3rd. A cooler is a good idea. I have reached high temperatures with normal driving and no cooler before during the summer. B&M makes a nice cooler that won't overcool and is decently priced. It also comes with all the fittings to hook it up. Convenience and a good product. You might find some cheaper but I recommend that one. I have had good luck with it. It is also quick and easy to install if you get one day shipping or have a place locally to order from.
2002 S-10 Crew Cab
Too Many Mods Check the Readers Rides Page
BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BikerBoomer »

I looked on the modification website, and i found the cooler install instructions, and im a little confused. What lines do you cut? are there already trans lines running up to the radiator, or what? Any better pics? ill have to look under my hood to see what was described.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

We do have a stock in tank cooler. I suggest tapping the lower line. Check a few of the install threads for why. Some kits come with adapters so no cutting is needed.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

There is a good write up on ZR2USA.com.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BikerBoomer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by BikerBoomer »

Towing went great, the car performed just like it should. The car dolly... not so good. No over heat. The truck barely felt a bit slower with the car back there. It didnt seem to bother the truck at all. The temps were around 20-25 degrees for most of the trip (outside temp) with a min of 13 saw on the cars temp gauge. So i dont think i was at risk of overheating.