Engine/Balance Shaft Rattle

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

esutton

Engine/Balance Shaft Rattle

Post by esutton »

I recently purchased a new 2003 2003 S10 CrewCab 4.3L V6. After driving this vehicle for about one week (800 miles total on the truck), I began to notice a loud engine rattle noise when the truck was in gear, warm/hot, and between 1500 and 2000 RPMs. I did some research on this issue and have found that I am not alone with this problem. It seems GM issued a service bulletin dated Dec. 2001 (Bulletin No. 00-06-01-023A). The bulletin states that this noise is caused by the Engine/Balance Shaft in the 4.3L V6. I would have assumed that GM would have fixed this problem by the time they released the 2003 version of this engine.

This past week I had my truck into the GM service garage were I purchased this vehicle and they told be that this is "normal" for this type of engine and that GM had no plans to fix this problem. Basically they told me there is nothing I can do.†

Has anyone else run into this problem and if so does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
MikeyZR5

Post by MikeyZR5 »

It happened to me alot before 500 miles, now that I am at 1300 miles, i have not heard it, or experienced at all...That is my experience. I didnt do anything in terms of getting it looked at....

BTW

Welcome to the Boards!!
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

When I bought mine in Jan. of 2002 it was winter so I couldn't hear it. When spring out here, and had the windows down I heard it then. I thought since the truck was new I'll give it some time and see what happens. Mean while I did some more mods. So, when this spring came around I got tired hearing that noise. I went to the dealer they told me they replaced engines and other parts, no go. They couldn't fix it and GM knew about it and had no way of fixing it. GM consider the matter closed. So, I traded for a 2003 Silverado. Now, I'm trying to get GM to pay me back what I spent on mods ($1,115.80). I won't give up untill they do. I had to many warranties on my S10. I wish the S10 would of work out but, it didn't and I'm moving on. I think the dealer sold my S10. I thought that before but, it showed back up on the lot. JH68
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

When I bought mine in Jan. of 2002 it was winter so I couldn't hear it. When spring out here, and had the windows down I heard it then. I thought since the truck was new I'll give it some time and see what happens. Mean while I did some more mods. So, when this spring came around I got tired hearing that noise. I went to the dealer they told me they replaced engines and other parts, no go. They couldn't fix it and GM knew about it and had no way of fixing it. GM consider the matter closed. So, I traded for a 2003 Silverado. Now, I'm trying to get GM to pay me back what I spent on mods ($1,115.80). I won't give up untill they do. I had to many warranties on my S10. I wish the S10 would of work out but, it didn't and I'm moving on. I think the dealer sold my S10. I thought that before but, it showed back up on the lot. JH68
Joseph
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Joseph »

rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

I just purchased my s10 Crew last Wed. and had it in the shop on Friday because of the same noise. It sounds like a diesel rattle between 1600 and 2000 rpm. The dealer told me that GM knows about this problem and there is nothing they can do. So vehicles have it some don't. Thats pretty crappy mechanical tolerances on whoever is milling these parts!!

I will have to see if the problem gets any worse. Hopefully it will wear in. If not its back to the dealer-----3 times and the lemon law takes place!!!

If i would have been told about this problem before i purchased it i would have not signed on the dotted line. I feel that there was misrepresentation for this problem.
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

I just purchased my s10 Crew last Wed. and had it in the shop on Friday because of the same noise. It sounds like a diesel rattle between 1600 and 2000 rpm. The dealer told me that GM knows about this problem and there is nothing they can do. So vehicles have it some don't. Thats pretty crappy mechanical tolerances on whoever is milling these parts!!

I will have to see if the problem gets any worse. Hopefully it will wear in. If not its back to the dealer-----3 times and the lemon law takes place!!!

If i would have been told about this problem before i purchased it i would have not signed on the dotted line. I feel that there was misrepresentation for this problem.
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

there is a problem with posting here. It seems that you get a debug error and you assume that the post was not submitted. So i submitted it again and it shows twice.
esutton

GMs Reply

Post by esutton »

I just got off the phone with the GM customer service rep. They are going to extend my warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles.

Not the best solution, but I guess I can live with it. :?
marks10cc
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by marks10cc »

Info - Engine/Balance Shaft Rattle Noise #00-06-01-023B - (11/26/2002)

Engine/Balance Shaft "Rattle" Noise

1992-2003 Chevrolet and GMC C/K, S/T, M/L, G and P Models

1992-2001 Oldsmobile Bravada

1992-2001 Isuzu Hombre

with 4.3 L V6 Engine (VINs W, X -- RPOs L35, LF6, LU3)

This bulletin is being revised to add additional model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-01-023A (Section 06 -- Engine).

The following information is to be used when diagnosing noise conditions such as an engine "rattle" noise, spark knock, etc.. The noise may occur in the 2000-2500 RPM range, under a moderate to heavy load, with a warmed-up engine. This noise may be due to a natural torsional vibration in the cam drive system, loading and unloading of the balance shaft and gear drive assembly. GMPT Engineering has determined that this noise does not present any durability risks to the engine or any of its components. Attempts to solve the noise condition by changing cam drive or balance shaft components may prove unsuccessful. It is imperative that all normal diagnostic techniques be followed to assure that the rattle noise is not spark knock, piston rattle, bearing knock, or some other noise for which repairs should be made.

Just FYI, new bulletin issued.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Joseph wrote:When I bought mine in Jan. of 2002 it was winter so I couldn't hear it. When spring out here, and had the windows down I heard it then. I thought since the truck was new I'll give it some time and see what happens. Mean while I did some more mods. So, when this spring came around I got tired hearing that noise. I went to the dealer they told me they replaced engines and other parts, no go. They couldn't fix it and GM knew about it and had no way of fixing it. GM consider the matter closed. So, I traded for a 2003 Silverado. Now, I'm trying to get GM to pay me back what I spent on mods ($1,115.80). I won't give up untill they do. I had to many warranties on my S10. I wish the S10 would of work out but, it didn't and I'm moving on. I think the dealer sold my S10. I thought that before but, it showed back up on the lot. JH68

What? :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
rdivirgilio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by rdivirgilio »

esutton wrote:

I just got off the phone with the GM customer service rep. They are going to extend my warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles.

Not the best solution, but I guess I can live with it

I'm waiting for the dealer's service manager to get back to me. I also just puchased and it seems to me the noise is much louder when driving under load. I towed my boat on friday about 65 miles to the shore. I was running at 60mph at about 1850rpm and the rattling/pinging/whatever it is was extremely evident. I called the dealer immediately since i am very concerned about this. I have not yet received a reply but it was friday afternoon when i called.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I'd turn it over to the lemon law dudes.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

quickbiker wrote:I'd turn it over to the lemon law dudes.

I just turn up the radio.
Jim

Re: GMs Reply

Post by Jim »

esutton wrote:I just got off the phone with the GM customer service rep. They are going to extend my warranty to 6 years or 100,000 miles.

Not the best solution, but I guess I can live with it. :?

Mine sounds exactly the same as it did the day I drove it off the lot. It just turned 15K, I'm not going to let it bother me but I would like the 100K free warrenty. I just think of how noisy the old 2.5 4cyl "Iron Duke" that was in mid 80s Celebertys & Grand Ams & Mail trucks. That engine sounded like a meat grinder but they ran forever. :roll:
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Mine's very quiet and 41k miles. Must be spotty quality.
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

quickbiker wrote:Mine's very quiet and 41k miles. Must be spotty quality.
Likewise, at 16,000 miles. Mine has always been a very quiet motor.
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]