Installing the differential

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Installing the differential

Post by Donnie »

Any tips, it will come from the dealer all together except for the side bearings..I purchased new ones and have them, going to get a different cover gasket, felpro, and have that ready. Have cleaned out the all the crap left from the old bearings tearing up, lots of little metal peices..
My biggest question is alignment. Read all these horror stories, and don't beleive most, but would like some imput..Am a mechanic, but retired, last rear end I did, was similar, swap, new for old, no alignment problems , just install turn with grease on gears checked where running, and go from there...so imput please.
Don :?:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

differential

Post by Donnie »

Ok, thank you, but will this apply , I am replaceing the entire unit, which will come from the factory, only thing I need to add is the side bearings..as for shims, are those the two large washer like peices on each side of the side bearings. I found no other shim like items inside?
Don
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

This will apply. You will reuse your own ring gear and need to set the pattern. It will not be as simple as bolting it in and going. Sorry.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rear end

Post by Donnie »

Ok, not a problem, but don't know about the ring gear, when I bought the unit they said only thing I needed was the outer bearings and go, came with all the gears ..guess we will see on Monday morning.
Don
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Then you will be installing a new pinion gear and need to set it all up for depth as well as pattern.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

UPDATE

Post by Donnie »

Finished, drove several miles, rear end is quiet, so far, no leaks...thank you to all who helped...maybe I can some day return the favor.
Don
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Details please :D

Your impression of the install and any tricks you picked up. Was it a complete assembly? Ring gear, pinion?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install

Post by Donnie »

Well picked up the unit this morning, had to put my ring gear on and the rear end tech at the dealer said to just put the gear mating on the ring gear in several spots and turn it both ways to check the alignment.
Well when I went to install the unit found that it was really tight, old one just fell out, but this with the new bearings, which I installed, was really tight, used the existing shims and a block of wood, carefully tapped it into place and then put the caps on..spun it both directions, everything was about as close to perfect as one could ask for. I called the dealer and spoke to the tech again, he said in most of his cases that when doing the job I did, its just a matter of swapping parts out..(I called him to insure I was on the right track, couldn't hurt)
Put in the GM recommended lube and drove about 4 miles, it was so quiet, not use to this, guess the noise has been there a long time and just got worse as time went..
Level of difficulty, 1 to 10 , give it a 7, fear factor 1-10 11...... :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Excellent! Thank you for elaborating on the process.

I have had similar luck when swapping out bearings , or even a ring and pinion. I even swapped a used carrier with a different ring gear and was lucky enough to get it to work. Some times when it really doesn't matter things just work out right anyhow.
I do like to check things with a dial indicator and some marking compound.

I am really glad this all worked out for you. You saved some serious $$ and eased the minds of those who have this job to look forward to in the future.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rear end day two

Post by Donnie »

Well drove about seventy miles today, tell you this is tough, its quiet, not use,(not complaining) to this, like having a new truck...
Got home and gave the truck a bath, nice cool water, good soap, cleaned all the bugs...truck likes that.......now for some MUD!!!!