rear end

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

rear end

Post by Donnie »

new here but been doing lots of reading, my 04 ZR5 started makeing some noise in the rear end, pulled the cover found all sort of metal. Ended up pulling the entire posi unit out, side bearings on right side gone, ate up the unit. I have ordered a new one from a local dealer, 700. bucks, but be here monday..any comments on this.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Donnie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Donnie »

Did not know about the gasket, but the relocating the vent hose I did. Had moisture in the fluid, changed and flushed, but this could be the result.
Thanks
Don
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It might have been water damage. It takes a while for the water damage to result in bearing failure.

The whole gasket thing is somewhat controversial. I did get a beefy cap to stiffen up the flexy 7.625 housing and filed groves for oil. As I see it , it can't hurt.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fox Racer

Post by Fox Racer »

I hope this answer can be answered.....I am supercharging my 2004 Crew, does anyone know how much Hp the stock drive train can handle?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The stock engine internals will not put out more than the drivetrain can handle as long as you drive reasonably.
The automatic transmission is the same base as used in fullsize and even the Corvette. The transfercase, again is the same as used behind a V-8.
The rear axle may be the weak link. They have held up to installation of a V-8 , the Syclone / Typhoon and Stallion trucks.
Low gears and a heavy cover may help. The 7.625" rear is reported to be a little "flexy". The G80 govloc may hold up just fine, but I know others have invested in heavier carriers.

Supercharging will offer more challenges than drivetrain strength. Heat is your biggest enemy. A supercharger is a big heat pump. It heats the intake air and creates more energy, thus more heat in the engine. You will be battling detonation problems, lack of good fuel. Higher octane fuel is expensive.
It will be fun for a while , but if it is a daily driver the fun wears off pretty soon.
Several here have added superchargers. All sold their trucks. Few last more than a couple years.
Personally if you need extra power, I would do the best you can with a normally aspirated engine. If you really need the power and want the small truck, a V-8 swap will cost not much more. You will have a truck capable of much more and running on low octane fuel. Perhaps even getting better mileage.
Next step is to get into a different truck. Maybe an Avalanche, or fullsize. Those might be something to consider. More than a few have done just that.
:wave: Welcome aboard. There are plenty of threads here to help you, enjoy!

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fox Racer

Post by Fox Racer »

What do you think about a TO3 J60 turbo with an intercooler. Do you think youd get more HP outa that? obviously cause its cooler but do you think it would work? a little less of a punch to the rear end. I have upgraded the motor. It is still the 4.3 vortec but its stroked. Stock Hp is 295 i now have 350 to the crank so thats like 320 to the wheels with an intake exhaust AEM comp and fuel pump w/ injectors
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Fox Racer wrote:It is still the 4.3 vortec but its stroked. Stock Hp is 295 i now have 350 to the crank so thats like 320 to the wheels with an intake exhaust AEM comp and fuel pump w/ injectors
Stock hp is 190. :wink:

If you have 350 hp at the crank then you would have like 280 at the wheels figuring in a 20% drivetrain loss. :)

What cam, heads and tuning are your running to get 350 hp? :?: 8)

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I would say if you dyno 350 hp NA. Stop there and enjoy. Adding boost will bring nothing but problems.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Fox Racer

Post by Fox Racer »

Crane PowerMax Cam's, Eagle Rods, Ross pistons, Trick Flow heads, Venom Injectors, With a AEM comp.