Odd misfire or sneeze??? (4.3V6)

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Odd misfire or sneeze??? (4.3V6)

Post by RickZRX »

Not sure whats causing it. It did it twice one day shortly after I bought the ZR5, then it was fine for a week. Then it did it again a couple of times one day.
Last night it did it maybe 20 times during a 35 mile drive, but not once on the way home. Today during a 200 mile drive it didn't do it at all...
It's just a very quick stumble that is over as soon as it happens kinda deal. Seeing as everything I own is a Ford & they all have Edelbrock carbs I'm lost with FI. I'm not sure it's a fuel issue or an ignition issue.
My main question is:
Would whatever is causing it be stored in that voodoo computer system? I have no SES light etc... truck has 60,500 miles.

I'm guessing I should invest in a scanner at some point, any brands prefered above others?
er.. & where the heck do ya plug it in? :roll:
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Scanners plug into the OBDII (On Board Diagnostics - generation two) port under the dash on the left hand side of the drivers footwell.

The PCM can store pending codes that do not illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) when a problem exists that may affect emissions the lamp is lit. If the problem corrects itself, the light will shut off in most cases. The code will be stored as well as , perhaps, freeze frame data of the conditions present when the problem occurred.

AutoTap is great if you have a PDA or Laptop. It may do way more than you need though. I bought mine on ebay with the enhanced GM package. This allows you to view over 4500 different parameters on GM vehicles.

I use a simple AutoXray at work. It is pretty limited, but was cheap and reads /clears codes. That is all that I needed.

The new Hypertech programmers read codes now. If you plan on that purchase, it would "kill two birds".

Shop around. A scanner is pretty basic. Any cheap one will get the codes read. Another option is to visit your local parts store and have the codes read for free. Lots of places will do that.

Now to your problem:
Check the basics first- all connectors plugged in, battery cable connections clean and tight, air cleaner/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/fuel filter

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

HenryJ wrote:Now to your problem:
Check the basics first- all connectors plugged in, battery cable connections clean and tight, air cleaner/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/fuel filter
I'd like to get stuck into it, but I had shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. I may have to bite the bullet & actually pay a mechanic to do it... :(

HenryJ wrote:AutoTap is great if you have a PDA or Laptop. connections clean and tight, air cleaner/cap/rotor/plugs/wires/fuel filter
Dang, just a PC here...
HenryJ wrote:The new Hypertech programmers read codes now. If you plan on that purchase, it would "kill two birds".
Hmmm.. new tools :)
[size=75]Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

jpturner928
Crew
Crew

Post by jpturner928 »

My 04 cc did the same thing. I took it back to the place I bought it. They checked the codes nothing was found. They drove it and of course nothing happen. They asked if I have filled it up since I left the dealership. which was yes. Then the next question was it from the same place each time. Which it was. They asked me to try a different place and see what happens. They gave my truck a fuel treatment and a full tank of gas for free. haven't had a problem since.
[size=75]BE YOU
Do what you do[/size]
RickZRX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by RickZRX »

jpturner928 wrote:My 04 cc did the same thing. I took it back to the place I bought it. They checked the codes nothing was found. They drove it and of course nothing happen. They asked if I have filled it up since I left the dealership. which was yes. Then the next question was it from the same place each time. Which it was. They asked me to try a different place and see what happens. They gave my truck a fuel treatment and a full tank of gas for free. haven't had a problem since.
I think you're on to something, it did it on the drive out yesterday AM, then didn't do it after I gassd up for the drive home... I'll avoid the local Citgo station & see if thats the cause... :idea:

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

when i get gas at BP my truck runs great and i get decent mileage, when i fill it up at others it studders some times and it drains gas at a faster rate, i guess it all depends on what the truck was broke in on
Sonoma GT
Crew
Crew

Post by Sonoma GT »

Seems like its all the same stuff. Check out this link.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... nted=print