truck leaning

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

truck leaning

Post by Swbari00 »

I have noticed that the back side of my truck is leaning towards the drivers side. You can put your hand between the wheel well on the drivers side and not really move your hand up and down. The passenger side you can put your hand in the same place and move it up and down quite a bit. What could be causing this? The bed still seems to be level with the cab, so I'm guessing suspension?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

Now a Scion xD with lots of audio stuff!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

but the front looks level, only the back is leaning. could that still be the bars?
SOLD! 2003 Zr5 black. Alpine CDA-9831 cd with iPod adapter, JL Audio VR650-CSi (6.5" componets in front doors), JL Audio 8 W-3, Sony 260G. Air box mod, Flowmaster 40 dual exhaust.

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Take some measurements and poke your nose underneath to see if the adjusters are even.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

alrighty woo hoo!

Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Front Pass. 30.5"
Front Driv. 30.5"

Rear Pass. 32.25"
Rear Driv. 31.25"

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

And the adjusters?

Has it been wrecked?

The reason I ask is that there is not really a way for only one corner to be off. The frame while flexible would twist, not just one corner bend down. The bed is rigidly mounted to the frame.

You may need to measure the Z height both left and right as well as the D height , right and left.

Don't expect it to be perfect, nothing is. It should be closer than that though.

When doing a bodylift I try to line things up better than stock.
If this continues to bother you and everything seems to be evenly adjusted, then I suppose you could add some shims to the low corner to raise it up a little. I'm not sure that it would be worth the effort though.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Oh yeah btw, I don't know what any of that means :lol: I think i will just drop it off some where and let them look at it. I know its not the bed that is leaning, unless the whole body including the cab is leaning because the cab and bed line up.

The truck has not been wrecked I bought it new. I haven't done a body lift, although I'm not sure you asked me if i did 8)

I haven't done any adjustments to the suspension ever. The shocks are stock (got about 46K on them) don't know if thats makes any difference.

My main concern is that it didn't used to lean...

thanks for the help btw! :D

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Z and D height measurements

A difference in the amount of fuel , air pressure in the tires, terrain, etc can give the appearance of a "lean"

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

oh cool, I will try that then. Thanks a million!

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

It could be a combo of a blown shock and a broken leaf in the spring pack. That could certainly cause a droop in on side of the truck. I had my GMC Jimmy leaning funny when I managed to get a stone stuck in the spring pack on one side also.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
loki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by loki »

Hey hey!!!

Both the S10 that I have owned did this. The gas tanks is on the drivers side, so it will lean abit if there's a full load of gas on board. Mine also leans alot if the ground is even slightly off level. make sure the ground is flat when you measure.
[size=75]I love Homer Simpsons shoes[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

loki wrote:Hey hey!!!

Both the S10 that I have owned did this. The gas tanks is on the drivers side, so it will lean abit if there's a full load of gas on board. Mine also leans alot if the ground is even slightly off level. make sure the ground is flat when you measure.
Also check your blinker fluid. Sometimes if the reservoir has been overfilled, it'll throw your truck off balance :lol: Anyways, I had a Dodge Dakota do the same thing years ago. I think it was a leaf spring.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

wamason wrote:
Also check your blinker fluid. Sometimes if the reservoir has been overfilled, it'll throw your truck off balance :lol: Anyways, I had a Dodge Dakota do the same thing years ago. I think it was a leaf spring.

Bingo, my blinker fluid was WAY low. :nana:

S10CREW01
Crew
Crew

Post by S10CREW01 »

Bingo, my blinker fluid was WAY low. :nana:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
[size=75]<<~~o00o~~~~~~~~~~~~"°º©[b] S10CREW01 - Proud to serve US NAVY[/b]©º°"~~~~~~~~~~~~o00o~~>>
[b][u]MOD LIST:[/b][/u]
2001 S10 Crew Cab; 2" body lift; K&N drop in filter and the Airbox mod; Hot foot MOD; Autodim mirrior; Clear Bumper Lights; Westin Safari Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights; Westin Nerf Bars; Low Profile 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover; Quad Light MOD; Backup Lights * * *[/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

That reminds me of the time I had to have both of my exhuast bearings replaced at a cost of $100. :lol: each.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

rick wrote:That reminds me of the time I had to have both of my exhuast bearings replaced at a cost of $100. :lol: each.
But even that isn't as expensive as paying $300 per headlight for that super expensive headlight fluid for brighter headlights like HJ uses :lol:
--Walt
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

Has anyone heard the audio clip of the woman talking to the shop that is trying to fix her car? Her dad had set it up to be a prank call. It was quite funny. :D

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Do you have a link/ :)
--Walt
Swbari00
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Swbari00 »

no but i have a file...anyway to distribute?